5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

an oil question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default an oil question

I've been putting high mileage oil in my car since I got it (over 100k)
I've been thinking about going with synthetic, but I can't get "high mileage" synthetic. Is that just because synthetic oil is so much better than conventional?

I feel kinda dumb, but I don't know, and its better to feel dumb and ask then be dumb and do something that is not the best for my car.

thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

does your car burn or leak any oil? if so don't go with synthetic. and if you do, you can't switch back to conventional. you should be good with a good synthetic tho versus your high mileage...
Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Just use conventional until you put in a different motor. There isn't a whole lot to gain from going to synthetic and your motor has had conventional in it for so long its not going to do much to help it anyway.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

+1 agree with the ^^^^ ....you're not loosing much HP with a conventional oil
Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Chuckles_5.0
2nd Gear Member

My wallet thanks you.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
does your car burn or leak any oil? if so don't go with synthetic. and if you do, you can't switch back to conventional. ..
not true at all!!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Chuckles_5.0
I've been putting high mileage oil in my car since I got it (over 100k)
I've been thinking about going with synthetic, but I can't get "high mileage" synthetic. Is that just because synthetic oil is so much better than conventional?

I feel kinda dumb, but I don't know, and its better to feel dumb and ask then be dumb and do something that is not the best for my car.

thanks
the additive packages and detergant packages are so much better and refined in synthetic oils plus the friction tests done fair better with synthetic oils , and the gimic of the "high milage" formulation is just that = marketing tactic.....and the BS of switching to a synthetic will cause more oil leaks in a higher mileage car if you suddenly switch to a synthetic is just that.....if you develop leaks it's because the seal is faulty.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:20 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

I use conventional oil in any engine. I have seen some engines all sludged up that had nothing but synthetic used in them. just changed your oil every 3000 miles and use good filter like a wix, napa sells them, they are their gold line.

Last edited by FORD TOUGH; 01-22-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by FORD TOUGH
I use conventional oil in any engine. I have seen some engines all sludged up that had nothing but synthetic used in them. just changed your oil every 3000 miles and use good filter like a wix, napa sells them, they are their gold line.
you should of seen the chevy malibu I did an intake gasket on last week....talk about sludge in the motor, the filter was plugged up and when i LET THE DRAIN PLUG go, it looked like diareaha coming out and there was so much sludge you couldn't even see the tops of the lifters, funny thing was the kid said he was doing frequent oil changes, I asked him where and he said WAL-MART ....LOL GOTTA LOVE THE 14.95 LOF they sell
Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

mike you are so right about everything you have said. how does your engine know if your using conventional or syn? it doesnt so how can it hurt the engine? it cant. the only reason why a lot of people say not to use syn in a high mileage engine is because the syn will eat away at the sludge that is built up around the seals and gaskets that had been leaking which will make it leak again.

as for not making any more hp with syn over conventional that is BS. we did a dyno proven test at school with the same engine. first with conventional then with syn and the syn gained 15hp at the wheels from the conventional. i would have never believed it if i didnt see it first hand.

Quick Reply: an oil question