5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

near death experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Default near death experience

I JUST HAD ONE. I'm at school now and I just got finished on a 80 something model caprice.The guy was putting the heads back on and one of the holes stripped out in the block,and he couldn't get the bolt out so somebody got a cherry picker and bolted it to the head using one of the studs for the r/a's so they could put pressure on the bolt(cause you couldn't get it off no matter how hard you tried)I tried to get it off with a 3/8 and 1/2 drive and couldn't get it so I finally got a 3/4 drive(BIG BERTHA) on that thing and it was still barely moving so I got somebody else to work the impact gun and I got on it with a pry bar while somebody else was jacking up the motor and then all of a sudden BOOM the stud broke the cherry picker boom come about 2-3 in. from my face and then came back down. Boy it scared the S&*% out of me.All in all we got the head bolt out,and I realized My life has been short so far cause it flashed in my eyes for about a 1/4 sec lol
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 AM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

damn dude safety first. I hope you had safety glasses on not that that would have helped much.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:00 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

yea I did lol but it definitely wouldn't have stopped that arm tho, cause I mean I was inside the engine bay,standing over the motor with one hand on the pry bar and the other holding the head still
Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

saftey
Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

no offense or maybe im reading it wrong, but it sounds like you guys werent being very safe about what you were doing. too much going on in one area.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
no offense or maybe im reading it wrong, but it sounds like you guys werent being very safe about what you were doing. too much going on in one area.
yea pretty much you're right but I hated doin it but the teacher was condoning it so I went ahead with it Now I kind of wish I didn't do it tho,but you can't go back in time
Old 02-02-2009, 01:23 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
yea pretty much you're right but I hated doin it but the teacher was condoning it so I went ahead with it Now I kind of wish I didn't do it tho,but you can't go back in time
sometimes you gotta use your brain otherwise you may not have on next time from the sound of it on this story.

i've had people tell me to do unsafe things before when i was in unfamiliar territory. at that point n time you step aside and say "be my guest" more often than not i've witnessed some pretty bad accidents because of stupidity. most of them at the hardware story i use to work at.

one of the worst incidents was a guy didnt buckle his leg restraints on his safety harness for the lift. so he just had the chest/arm restraints on. he fell off the platform cause a forklift tapped his lift and knocked him off balance. and he nearly hung himself at work all because he didnt use his brain and his boss told him to hurry up to the top rack and grab a shower surround. take the time, do things right.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:49 PM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

thats some crazy stuff man gotta be more careful .. its weird cuz im always joking at work how many times i could have almost died or been seriously inured .. im a carpenter in nyc and people get hurt all the time ... just last week i was walking along a floor joist lost my balance fell right on my *** .. it was only from 5 feet .. but the funny part if i had been there 3 days later and i fell i would have broken something or even died because that floor i fell on had been removed ..then i actually did end up there 5 days later and im walking along some plywood (that someone forgot to nail down)and bam just dropped caught myself before i fell though lol got lucky .. not easy bein a blue collar dude crap happenes all the time lol

Last edited by ponyboy302; 02-02-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:16 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ponyboy302
not easy bein a blue collar dude crap happenes all the time lol
daggone skippy lol
Old 02-02-2009, 02:20 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

and I guess I'm lucky in some ways though cause I was hangin over the hoist cause that was the only way I could get to the gun Tank God it didn't come out then

Quick Reply: near death experience