5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

suspension upgrade questions for all the fox guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 AM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

Default suspension upgrade questions for all the fox guys

hey guys looking for anythign to make my 88 gt handle better. the rear is lowered already but setup to go straight. its a drag car turned into a street car so now suspension needs alot. i know i need front struts bad, and would like to drop the front down a little bit also to even the stance on the car..

i would like opinions on how far to lower it so i can get a small gap on the wheel without rubbing(front) rear is where i want it i think but im not sure on springs in rear so tell me what you have to make the car sit nice and low and even or maybe raked slightly. main objective is handling and needs to be somewhat cheap so through me some daels on parts. used is ok but need to be in good shape

i need opinions on all springs, struts ect, even the ebay buys just so i know whats the best for the money. also if you are near tampa and have anything im interested
Old 02-04-2009, 09:44 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

well to get the front down, a good way to go is a k member kit with coil over springs. that is what i am running, and have been for 2 years, and i love it! I went with UPR k member kit, lakewood 90/10 struts, and drag springs (handling is a little bouncy but i set it up for more of the straight line performance)
Attached Thumbnails suspension upgrade questions for all the fox guys-2009-01-super-charger-006.jpg   suspension upgrade questions for all the fox guys-2008-03-22_004.jpg  
Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

looks good but i might have forgot to state that it needs to be cheap and pretty easy to do as i only have minimal tools these days. im mainly going for springs, struts, cc plates, strut tower brace. really jsut wanting to know what brands to go with, how low to go in front/rear to make it sit nice and low without rubbing, ect. really i wantt o find out if its worth it to go with eibach or can i go with some cheap ebay springs and get pretty much the same thing. struts are the same question. let me know
Old 02-04-2009, 09:57 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

look at just getting the coil overs on all 4 corners, this will give you full adjustment for the ride height. Maximum motorsports, Upr, steeda and so on, all good
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
ark86stang

go to summit and check out some ford racing springs to begin with, my buddy has them on his 89 and it improved handling a lot (FMS-M-5300-B) they will lower the car slightly but no tire rub and they're the best deal out there. look at rear upper and lower control arms and front tubular A arms, going to poly bushings will tighten up the handling, but don't forget foxes were built to drag not drift. Strut tower baces are good but if your biulding your engine they can get in the way, so plan, my SSI intake barely clear the stock hood.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:32 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

i wouldnt go with a strut tower brace, the one i had rubed through a distributter wire
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
ark86stang

rubbing through a wire isn't a reason not to improve the handling on your car, if your engine is moving that much you might need to check your motor mounts or invest in a zip tie or two
Old 02-04-2009, 12:03 PM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

you guys have probably seen this link but due to the subject its well worth admiring imo : o)

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/co...pdf/Slalom.pdf

and the kit they are refering to ...

http://maximummotorsports.com/

why mix and match after what that car ran ..id want what ever the hell they had lol
Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
psuhillbilly150
2nd Gear Member

I am gonna have to say watch your surrounding craigs lists for a couple of weeks. I got a set of poly bushings for the entire car front and back for 40 bucks.

Just looking at the philly one now there is a set of intrax lowering 1.5" springs for 100 bucks.

I outfitted my suspention with a set of MMR coilovers w/QA-1 springs and lakewood 50/50s, upper granatelli double adjustable control arms, lower megabite control arms, full poly bushings for about 550 bucks off of the craigs list. If i had bought all that stuff new I would have spent like 850 or 900. So something to keep in mind.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:50 PM
onesickstang01
2nd Gear Member

yea my engine is already pretty well built and its carbed so the maximum motorsports strut brace is going on with no clearance issues. although my motor didnt fit under my tock hood so i already have a built up hood on it. i do watch craigslist alot and have found alot of good parts there so i will continue to look. no springs or anything are on it now in my area. i really wish i could afford that entire max motorsport package but i dont have much money and thats y i was asking what the quality is like on the ebay crap springs compared to similar eibach ect

Quick Reply: suspension upgrade questions for all the fox guys