5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Question about control arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Default Question about control arms

I'm looking into getting some adjustable control arms for the rear because the car is lowered and I'd like to be able to jack up the back a little for when I run my track Mickey Thompson DRs that are going to be a little taller than my DD tires. Is it true that adjusting them to raise the back throws off the pinion angle? I'm looking around for uppers and lowers and they have both adjustable, I've heard from different people to get solid lowers and adjustable uppers, and the other way around. What would be best?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

both adj would be the best. but most people do solid lowers and adj, uppers.

and yes having solid lowers and adjusting the uppers for height will throw off your pinion angle and your performance will suffer.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop? Can you say wheel hop?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Alright, so basically most people get the adjustable uppers for what reason then? It doesn't make sense if raising them will hurt performance. Since my car is lowered will it be as bad as a stock height if I adjust them for a little more height? I figured it would kind of even it out.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by Projectquick
Alright, so basically most people get the adjustable uppers for what reason then? It doesn't make sense if raising them will hurt performance. Since my car is lowered will it be as bad as a stock height if I adjust them for a little more height? I figured it would kind of even it out.
The adjustment is to change your pinion angle. If your angle is all out of spec you can have wheel hop as a result.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

ill buy them bbk control arms from u
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

team z or wolfe adjustable lower and uppers ....done
Old 02-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slo5oh
The adjustment is to change your pinion angle. If your angle is all out of spec you can have wheel hop as a result.
So if dropping the car doesn't affect that should I just go with solid for both upper and lower?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by Projectquick
So if dropping the car doesn't affect that should I just go with solid for both upper and lower?
it probably will effect it.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

dropping the car does effect your pinion angle. a worn out spring or shock can effect your pinion angle and your allignment as well.

IMO if you can afford it both adj. is ideal can then you have a plethora of adjustmets at your fingertips, but it also depends on what you are trying to do with the car. but if i redid mine i'd do solid lowers and adj. uppers. i went with solids on both and lucked out with a 4* pinion angle and she hooks pretty good. however if i adj my shocks too soft in the rear the car squats too much, i have negative pinion angle under load and i have excess spin. thats kind of why i'd like adj. uppers so i could combat that issue. but for what i have now it hooks really well with the 4* angle i have now.

Quick Reply: Question about control arms