5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

anit-freeze

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:04 PM
lil_hulk87gt
1st Gear Member

Exclamation anit-freeze

hey guys im a new 5.0 mustang owner.. anywayz i bought a 1987 mustang gt, the kid i got it from said that it leaks anti-freeze from the lower rad hose. Ok well i replaced it and it is still leaking from some where it is driving me nuts. I am also getting scard that i got f**ked in this deal. i need help and fast please...... and one last thing i noticed a bit of smoke coming from my exhuast its almost like it has a blue tint to it i mean u can barely see it. I am tinking that it could be that i put reg gas in and the car has been use to getting permuim gas could tis be the issue to that thanks guys
Old 02-18-2009, 08:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

gas is not the issue, blue = oil burn, but I wouldn't be concerned to much with a little tint to it.......as for leak look on the bottom of the water pump at the weep hole and see if the green be rolling down it and tracking down the lower hose, if so, get a new pump...... best thing to do when looking for coolant leaks is get a pressure tester and pump up cooling system and look for the leak
Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

It could be leaking out of the water pump. I had to tighten the crap out of my radiator hoses to get them to stop leaking when I first installed them new. I have since removed them a few times, changing intakes and such and I found that I didn't have to tighten them near as hard the next time I installed them. As far as the blue smoke out the exhaust, that is more then likely ring/cylinder wear. If it smokes when you first crank it up, it may just be the valve seals, which if they are wore out enough and there is enough slack in the valve guides, oil could get into the combustion chamber this way and cause the blue smoke.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:32 PM
lil_hulk87gt
1st Gear Member

ok thanks for the help with the exhuast guys. ....... i am going to look at the water pump tomorrow to if tat could be the problem....... but last time i look it almost looked like it was coming from the block but not 100% sure cuz it was really dripping from the k member, but that was as far as i really looked to be honest thanks again...
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

look at the freeze plugs on the side of the block, timing cover where water ports enter the block and intake gasket corners......just follow the trail of the green stuff, it'll lead to it's home eventually
Old 02-18-2009, 09:05 PM
lil_hulk87gt
1st Gear Member

if it is a freeze plug how big of a pian will it be to fix it with the whole engine in the car.... i ave no engine lift or te place to put and wngine right now ither plus my dad would kick my a** being as he gave me 80% of the money for it lol thanks
Old 02-18-2009, 09:17 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Get you a big tube of JB Quick. Mix it up and fill in the hole where the freeze plug is. Do it at a friends house, your pops will never know. If it is the freeze plug behind the engine mount, it requires a little more work to get to but can still be done. I'm sure you dad would be more angry to find out it needed an overhaul versus a small water leak.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:37 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Could be the water pump. It may also be the radiator leaking.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 PM
lil_hulk87gt
1st Gear Member

i've looked over the rad its good could use a new one but nothing detrimental rigt now but will be done soon...Like i said before i avent checked the water pump and will be on that tomorrow. tanksfor elping out so far everyone my worries ave gone away lol thanks