5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Giggle Gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:43 AM
89musclestang
2nd Gear Member

Lightbulb Giggle Gas

so i was thinkin of puttin juice to my car, you know to show some of those damn rice burners whats up lol, but anyway what is the the best inexpensive kit to get and what can my motor handle as described by my sig???
Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

hit that bitch with a 150 wet shot
Old 02-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't go more than 100 shot on your stock engine. The word "Inexpensive" should never be used when shopping for a Nitrous kit.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

why would you not hit it with more than a 100 on a stock block? i have seen 200 on a stock block with no problem unless you mean dont go over 100 with a dry shot then yes i would agree. i have seen stock 5.0s take a 200 wet shot all day long with no problems
Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 AM
89musclestang
2nd Gear Member

well yea but there are so many options and i know that their not that expensive any ideas on what brand to go with
Old 02-22-2009, 10:41 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

the solenoids are all made by the same company in china just have the different nitrous band stickers on them, bottles all have to pass the same tests and specs so they are all the same too. it really comes down to what you like.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HACKGT350
why would you not hit it with more than a 100 on a stock block? i have seen 200 on a stock block with no problem unless you mean dont go over 100 with a dry shot then yes i would agree. i have seen stock 5.0s take a 200 wet shot all day long with no problems
Although the pistons are "Forged" they are cheap TRWs, then you have to consider the other stock components in the block and the head gaskets that prob havent been changed in years as well as stock headbolts. I feel like 100 shot is the max safest amount I would use on a stock block. None of it is "Safe" but some people can get away with more. We ran an old 455 Buick with cast pistons at least 20 passes before it let go.sometimes you just get lucky sometimes you don't. I use to fill Nitrous bottles in my shop. I saw a lot of guys who brought by their broken parts to show me. The 5.0 crowd was by far the biggest Nitrous users where I was. The guys running 100 or less were having the bottles filled once a week or more. The guys running 150+ were the ones showing me thier collections of burned pistions, head gaskets and broken carb plates. When you are in this business for long you see patterns develop.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

the solenoids are all made by the same company in china just have the different nitrous band stickers on them, bottles all have to pass the same tests and specs so they are all the same too. it really comes down to what you like.
I know for a fact Nitrous Express solenoids are built in the USA. I'm fairly certain Edelbrocks Stainless soleniods are as well. Even if the rest are built in China in the same plant there are vast differances between differant companies. (example) Puralator builds a lot of differant companies oil filters that come down the same assembly line. Lot's of differance in the filters when the brand name changes because they are built to brand spec.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

i find the people that blow up their engines are the ones that get very greedy with timing and fuel and dont take the added precautions like window switches. a 150 is perfectly fine in a stock 5.0 as long as its a wet shot not a dry and you run the cooler plugs and retard the timing. its the people that get too lazy and dont back the timing down because they dont want to loose that hp when not on the nitrous i find are the ones that really hurt their engines. you also have the guys that have the button and not the WOT switch and double hit the button or hit it too soon that blow stuff up too.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

i find the people that blow up their engines are the ones that get very greedy with timing and fuel and dont take the added precautions like window switches. a 150 is perfectly fine in a stock 5.0 as long as its a wet shot not a dry and you run the cooler plugs and retard the timing. its the people that get too lazy and dont back the timing down because they dont want to loose that hp when not on the nitrous i find are the ones that really hurt their engines. you also have the guys that have the button and not the WOT switch and double hit the button or hit it too soon that blow stuff up too.
You are making my point. To many things that can go wrong. Do you really want to buy an engine because you "forgot" to back the timing down? The cyl pressure is tremendous as soon as that shot hits. So much so it can actually lift the head when using stock headbolts and spit a headgasket or just blow out a marginal gasket. The hp rating of a Nitrous kit is the small part of the results. The real hit is 100 hp shot will bring flywheel torque more than double what the engine puts out (700lbs feet plus on a 302) hit down low. That should give you an idea of the tremendous cyl pressure involved if you hit it righ out of the hole. 150 Shot will exceed 900 lbs feet if hit right out of the hole. That cyl pressure combined with heat and even the most optimal conditions will damage parts. Despite some guys running the best parts using progressive controllers and every safty feature still end up grenading engines. There is a price for everything. Nitrous is an engine builder and parts suppliers best friend.

Quick Reply: Giggle Gas