5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

MAC Tool Truck Stopped By Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I live in the deep dirty south where more than not, guys can and do work on alot of their own stuff. It is like gold around here to find a used box in decent condition off of a truck. Usually what happens around here is the box gets sold to someone at the shop to someone else looking to upgrade for either take over notes or a set price. My Father has his own mechanic shop on the edge of Columbus Ohio and he tells me about used boxes all the time. Really nice big *** boxes, top and bottoms for $1000 or less. He instructed me not to buy a big box set, that he could find me one off of his trucks way cheaper than I could get. He's been doing it for over 40 years so I trust him and his judgment. Also it will give me an excuse to go visit him and other family members. I don't know what I'm going to do with all of his tools when it comes to his day to go to up to glory. His main box is a Cornwell that is 7'8" wide and he has another Snap-On Deep and Wide set. Along with shelves and cabinets full of specialty tools that I won't ever be forced to use I don't think. Looks like I will have to build a bigger shop when that day comes. Either that or the mustang will be living an outside life style.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
don't take this the wrong way....but your not holding Craftsman to the same standards/quality of MAC and Snap-on are you???
Not at all by any means. Just the usual amount and frequency of work that I do, I don't need a $10K set of tools. I have a boat load of tools now. All the major name brands as mentioned above down to some China made knock off tools. That is why I opted for another box first, I need to organize in a bad way and then decide on what I need and go from there.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Explosive

Nice, a couple of the guys at work have this Matco master service cart, they're nice,

Old 02-24-2009, 07:39 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Not at all by any means. Just the usual amount and frequency of work that I do, I don't need a $10K set of tools. I have a boat load of tools now. All the major name brands as mentioned above down to some China made knock off tools. That is why I opted for another box first, I need to organize in a bad way and then decide on what I need and go from there.
ahh okay, gotcha, Craftsman Imo is good for the weekend wrencher and hobbiest, but man when I start using them on a daily basis for industrial/professional wrenching, the sockets start splittin', wrench ends a start a flexin' and the punches and chisels breaks da' ends off.......but for what I do on a daily basis I need good stuff, now I do have a fair amount of craftsman stuff in my box, along with blue point, snap- on and mac
Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
ahh okay, gotcha, Craftsman Imo is good for the weekend wrencher and hobbiest, but man when I start using them on a daily basis for industrial/professional wrenching, the sockets start splittin', wrench ends a start a flexin' and the punches and chisels breaks da' ends off
you ain't kiddin at school I've broken 2 wrenches a 1/2" swivel and like 3 punches but since they have a lifetime warranty on em the teach doesn't really care(at least as long as we tell him
Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^^^^lol, I've broken the 1/2 universal 3 times and the 3/8's about 10 times and my 1/4 inch ones a few of them once or twice, but hey, lifetime warranty ftw!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I have tons of all kinds of brand name stuff. Blue-Point, Snap-On, Proto and like I said down to some Chinese junk. I will not and I repeat, will not be a professional car mechanic. My Father tries to get me all the time to come into his shop and work with him. I tell him, Dad, it's just a hobby and I would like to keep it that way. I have a job and it makes me a very comfortable living and I don't have to work near as hard as you. He just laughs and tells me it's not hard work when you have been doing it as long as I have and know as much as I do. I just chuckle and agree with him and tell him "Yeah, You're Right" I have been in the oilfield for nearly 15 years now and I am a Supervisor and I am not about to give this career up to turn wrenches for a living. Besides, I hate to work on daily drivers, much less someone else's junk. It would drive me crazy trying to get back into that learning curve and try and pick up all that knowledge about all the different brands of cars. My Father has anything from Jaguars & Porsche to domestic brands come through his shop. Ain't no way I'm going to try and learn myself all that knowledge. But as you stated MJR, my Father has nothing but high quality tools he works with everyday.

I have an old Snap-On radio at my house that looks like a tool box, but it is made out of plastic. I will take some pictures of it when I get home and show everyone on here. Most people I show it to have never even seen one before, the Tool Truck driver told me that he didn't even know that Snap-On even carried/sold those things. I turned it on and showed him it still works and he about fell out and then he was wanting to deal with me on some bigger boxes. He wanted that radio as bad as an addict needs the next fix. He was salivating over it badly. I just turned it back off and closed the lid. It has a lid like a top box that folds up and down like a real top box has.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:02 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

my main set of 3/8 sockets is from autozone, duralast special and they work great been using them everyday for 3 years now never broken one and the crome hasnt pealed off like the craftsman or even the snap on. i dont think i have any craftsman in my box actually other than my box.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

I heard Sears was in bad shape and they might go under by the end of the year. So I guess no more lifetime warranty on the tools if the do go out of business.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 AM
rgautomotive

Sears is now just a distributor for Craftsman, I believe Craftsman is owned by Dannaher tools who iirc distributes Klein, Kobalt, Craftsman, etc.

Quick Reply: MAC Tool Truck Stopped By Today