5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Track Times

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by Baddog
I'm certainly no track expert but please explain this to me. Let's say a driver gets out of the hole horribly spinning 1st badly but hooks 2nd perfectly. He's now wasted a good portion of time but is now in a taller gear in the perfect powerband with more track left than he would have if 1st had hooked. I can't see how that scenario wouldn't net a higher trap and lower ET. Your thoughts?
if this scenario is directed towards what im arguing you are not seeing what im talking about. for one im not trying to make hypothetical situations because you can make any hypothetical scenario work in your favor.

but ill go along with it. if you dont hook well in first but the rest of your run is fine, you should have a higher ET with "X" mph
your second run you hook first and rest of your run is fine than you should net yourself a lower ET with approx the same mph as X. relatively speaking.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
their theory is that i can have a crappy 60' with a higher mph trap speed and my next run have a better 60' faster ET than my previous run, yet have a lower MPH EVERYTIME. cause if thats not what you are arguing then i dont know what you are fighting about. my point is better 60's will always net you a lower/faster ET's EVERYTIME (considering all things stay consistent in the run) and will not always have a direct result on your mph via the example i gave earlier and many other examples seen before.
Nobody said EVERYTIME, don't but words in peoples mouths. Notice how I used words like generally.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:48 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

as did i with the MPH generally speaking

you guys are arguing the fact that fast 60's should net you a lower mph. right? so over a long enough span of runs you should always run lower mph with better 60's...is that not what you are saying?

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 03-04-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

From my understanding, the reason you tend to trap higher on a slower launch is because of wheel spin. If you spin to much you don't move very far and waste time. But when you do actually hook, its usually at a pretty high RPM. So now you are in the meat of your power curve and you have not wasted much track. Resulting in a solid trap but a less then personal best E/T. AGAIN I will say that this theory will not always hold water. ie. You spin all the way down the track.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
as did i with the MPH generally speaking

you guys are arguing the fact that fast 60's should net you a lower mph. right? so over a long enough span of runs you should always run lower mph with better 60's...is that not what you are saying?
Yes generally this is the case. If you can't wrap your mind around then thats too bad.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

take away the scenarios. i can make lots of hypothetical scenarios work for me too.

please refute the last few things posted. back on page 11

ET is a function of efficiency. mph is a function of hp/tq. this is why a honda cannot get to 150mph but a corvette can burry it. it has nothing to do with their et's

if you look at the inverse equation....this is exactly why a NA car and a boosted car can run the same exact ET's with completely different MPH. they are unalike terms 60'/ET does not = mph. mph is only an indication of where you should be/could be... ET = the efficiency of the vehicle.

so you see an 11.5 car run at 120mph. so he can potentionaly run a 10.somethin pass. so his mph is an indication of potential. so if he gets a better 60' how does that lower his potential for a faster ET?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Yes '60 and trap IMO have a relationship. So in a vacuum, your best possible '60 will not result in your best possible MPH.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 83gtragtop
From my understanding, the reason you tend to trap higher on a slower launch is because of wheel spin. If you spin to much you don't move very far and waste time. But when you do actually hook, its usually at a pretty high RPM. So now you are in the meat of your power curve and you have not wasted much track. Resulting in a solid trap but a less then personal best E/T. AGAIN I will say that this theory will not always hold water. ie. You spin all the way down the track.
You're saying the same thing as me. I have seen my buddy blow a launch and run a faster trap and far worse ET. It doesn't seem to work the other way around. He runs a blown C5 vette and ran 12.23 @ 123 with a $hit launch and grannyshifting. His '67 that is built for the track ran 11.27 @ 118...
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

those cars are completely unalike. the c5 vette could run a 11.27...just as fast as the 67 but would have lets say a 135+ mph. same et, how does that prove anything about relationship of 60'/et and mph? it doesnt. and thats comparing two different set ups. i dont see how that proved anything or refuted any point made by anyone yet

this is geting out of hand anyways, im goin to bed

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 03-04-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
personally i would rev it to 3-4krpm and work that clutch.

you let it out to fast i think youll snap something, mild mod's and everything im betting

x2 I agree with the rpm rage but I would just come off the clutch fast but not dump it.....a well preped track can be an axles worst nightmare lol.

Quick Reply: Track Times