5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

H/C/I Need to know how your cars run cold?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wowvfast
no he doesn't ....the injectors are the problem...thier not giving enough fuel in the cold start mode....you know when it needs more fuel..looks for some 24's
hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:25 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

enlighten me then..I'm all ears....never to old to learn something
Old 03-01-2009, 01:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you may have but that's his issue on this car... why all the hostility?
Do you know what governs the cold start enrichment on these cars??? two major inputs are ect amd act which in accordance with the graphing schaler tables that the eec iv uses it knows based on temp input whether to increase injector pulse on cold start up, once vehicle reaches operating temp running/drivibility peramiters switch from running open loop prestored info in the ecm to running in closed loop where all data from input sensors is used and computed and sent out to output devices such as injectors......if injectors were the prob then his issue would not only be present in open loop running status but also closed loop....because what you are advocating is it's a lean condition, if it's a lean condition which it could be then it'd be present all the time. A koer test will confirm a lean or rich condition but more so make sure that no other sub systems are causing the issue, first thing to ever do once verifying a customer complaint is to uses a vehicles diagnostics capabilities to aid in finding a prob, to many people slap parts without understanding the proper way to go about problem solving
correct, But I only do stuff the right way
^^^^^^did you not say this??? so why not also advocate a proper diagnostc strategy to verifying issue at hand..........I'm not angry, I don't get that way over the net, but what I don't like is slapping parts until you know for sure what the issue is, remember it's easy to spend someone elses money, put yourself in th OP'S shoes...say he goes and buys injectors based on your recommendation and still has the prob??, in my line of work that doesn't make for a happy person....that's all I'm trying to convey

Last edited by mjr46; 03-01-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:40 PM
droptop302
3rd Gear Member

So MJR I will get back to when I put the snap on computer on it tomorrow. I will tell you what it says and you will let me know where to go from here? Its so funny how people on the net can see how mad you get through your or anyone else's typing when there not LOL. Thanks
Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'm not mad, I'd just rather you diagnosis you cars issue then spend money on parts hoping it'll fix it......Internet diagnosis is so tough because one can't uses all the senses necessary to arrive at an accurate decision,it's so one dimentional, plus we rely on you to be able to accurately describe what you hear, see and feel, and what you precieve vs what at trained professional does often don't line up. most cars I work on in a daily basis take no longer than 1-2 hours of diag time to reach a conclusion. I wish you luck and feel free to PM me if I don't see or remember about your thread

Last edited by mjr46; 03-01-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

enlighten me then..I'm all ears....never to old to learn something
If problems were so easily diagosed there would no need for those of us that do it for a living to spend thousands of dollars in diagnistic tools, scanners, lab scopes and subscritions to Mitchell or Alldata. To run a systems diagnostics test first will lead you in the right direction and could turn out to be something as simple as an unpluged sensor. Diagnostic ports are there for this very reason.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:30 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

I agree on all those diagnostic tools, but let's be real we all know it's a lean condition having been dealing with these car so long...a koer test will tell us what we already know....diagnostic tools are a must with the ob2 and 3 'puters... buying the 24's at this points isn't a waste of cash as this combo would benefit from them...granted there are several other possibilities like oil on the maf electrodes,bad/corroded temp sensor,vacuum leak,o2 issues,etc
I'm not here to argue but to give other options on what has been said already

Originally Posted by Portmaster
If problems were so easily diagosed there would no need for those of us that do it for a living to spend thousands of dollars in diagnistic tools, scanners, lab scopes and subscritions to Mitchell or Alldata. To run a systems diagnostics test first will lead you in the right direction and could turn out to be something as simple as an unpluged sensor. Diagnostic ports are there for this very reason.

Last edited by wowvfast; 03-01-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

no he doesn't ....the injectors are the problem...thier not giving enough fuel in the cold start mode....you know when it needs more fuel..looks for some 24's
^^^^^Remember this statement

I won't attemp to give him a diagnostic evaluation over the internet and tell him to go out an buy expensive parts. There are many things that can cause a lean condition. Unless I was standing over the car reading the O2 sensor output I won't make that assumption.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:57 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

I will...the 24's are a win/win deal though..his combo can benefit from these...
Old 03-01-2009, 04:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I will...the 24's are a win/win deal though..his combo can benefit from these...
your right, they will allow allow his combo to support more, but gauranteed won't fix his prob.

Originally Posted by droptop302
A. Let me start off by saying the car runs great hot. When you first start the car and you go drive it pops putters and back fires a little. We are not getting on the car at this time just normal driving. It takes a good 15 mins of driving before it disappears like nothing is wrong. .
the key is the bolded above!!! if it were the injectors the prob would exist all the time = hot, warm, or cold.....win/ win deal ......???

Quick Reply: H/C/I Need to know how your cars run cold?