5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Aluminum Drive Shaft result, and question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:53 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default Aluminum Drive Shaft result, and question.

Well just got back from the test drive.

here are some numbers first.

Aluminum driveshaft was 14.5lbs

Stock AOD driveshaft was 23.5lbs

thats a weight difference of 9lbs!!

i thought it was going to be more like 5lb's!

thats pretty damn good weight loss.

anyway, heres my views.

I bought the aluminum driveshaft mainly because I was trying to get rid of the vibration i had at 65mph and higher. at 75mph it felt like something was going to fall off the car it would vibrate and grind so much.

That is what i wanted fixed, and YES the aluminum driveshaft has stoped ALL vibration at 60-90mph. (as fast as i went on the test drive.)

the car is MUCH smoother as far as driveline vibration, BUT i still have a vibration at and above 4,000rpm..... i do not know whats causing this, my only guess is the engine mount as the transmission is new, tran's mount is fine, i checked that before buying the driveshaft. new driveshaft, rearend rebuilt a year ago, new gears in the rear end, ETC.

i hate the fact that it vibrates badly at high RPM's because thats going to make be back out of the throttle, or shift early because of it.

it does feel like the vibration is coming from the front of the car also.

as far as a improvement/acceleration of power because of the driveshaft....

i felt nothing of the sort, given im still getting use to the increased power from swapping to a 5speed from a dying automatic, so i cant be real sure if i gained anything from the driveshaft, but the only real difference i felt was that the car has less drive train vibration.

another odd thing is that 3gear always whined a little scene i installed the new transmission.

It seems with the new driveshaft that 3rd whines louder, and a little more high pitched, and 5th gear that was quiet before, now has a very faint whine to it...... dunno what this could be from other then maybe the aluminum is making the noise more noticeable?

n-e-who, thats my thoughts, i think the $270 i payed from SummitRacing was worth it, as now i can drive on the highway without fear of the vibration or hurting my car because of it.

a loss of 9-10lb's isent bad at all either!

here are some before and after pictures.

look how worn it is from vibrating so bad.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:01 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

you need the spacer ring ....

are you sure it's an rpm thing? does it do it while coasting out of gear?
Old 03-08-2009, 04:03 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

spacer

you need to check your harmonic balancer
Attached Thumbnails Aluminum Drive Shaft result, and question.-d_shaft_spacer_lrg.jpg  
Old 03-08-2009, 04:11 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

im not sure of the spacer ring your talking about?

yes, when i rev up the engine out of gear to 4krpm is vibrates pretty bad.

ill try and shoot a video tomorrow
Old 03-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I'd like to see that driveshaft in the back of the tranny just a little farther.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM
absolutbspec
2nd Gear Member

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...asp?T1=ST68+01
This is the spacer he is talking about. Im not sure if you actually need one though since its a direct replacement. I needed to get one when i switched from a t-5 to a tko-600.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Did you loosen the bolts on the before pic with the steel driveshaft? If not that was probably the vibration. I left them loose on mine one time and good god at the racket.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:35 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

vibration could be a few things. check balancer and motor mounts too.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:26 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Did you loosen the bolts on the before pic with the steel driveshaft? If not that was probably the vibration. I left them loose on mine one time and good god at the racket.
Yes the before picture i had started pulling the bolt's off myself, and stoped to take a quick picture.

Right before i came into work tonight i put the car in neutral, and reved it very slowly through the RPM's.

Starting at 3700RPM it starts vibrating, its coming from the front of the car.

I belive its the hermonic balencer, as the front of the oil pan has leaked sence i bought the car over a year ago.

im unsure of how to check the balencer, which one to buy, or how to swap them out :/

This Aluminum driveshaft is sapposed to be a direct bolt in for the T5, but i agree i would like it to sit into the tran's a little farther.....

what could this effect leaving it like it is?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:23 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

ford racing stock 50 oz balancer is like 70 beans .. to check it just do a visual inspection .. check that the rubber is not cracked or coming apart or sticking out of the balancer .. then with the car running take a good look at it .. if you notice any wobble as its spinning then its bad or going bad ..to replace it you may need an impact gun and pulley puller .. fairly easy swap with those tools basically a bolt on part .

Quick Reply: Aluminum Drive Shaft result, and question.