5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

moral dilema, help me out guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:30 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default moral dilema, help me out guys

here is the jist of whats goin on.

co-worker(not a good friend, just buddies at work) of mine owns a 95 z28 and his wife was out driving and got on the highway and forced the shifter into reverse. she didnt get it all the way into reverse but she said it made a lot of clatter. anyways...

i drove the car around myself, 1-4th shift fine. 5th is hella notchy and 6th seems ok and reverse pops out of gear unless you hold it. so obviously there is damage(i pulled the trans apart, reverse is F'd up, 5th has some nicked teeth and rest of the gears look absolutely fine.) . i told them i would rebuild it for get and i gave them a price. moving on...

they found a guy on ebay that sold a t56 trans, no description other than that. they received the transmission but it's in need of a rebuild but the gears look absolutely fine. they go to contact the guy to complain cause the trans was advertised is in perfect operating order(which is could be the blocker rings are pretty well worn). the seller is no where to be found. soooo... i ran the trans tags online....sure and **** its a V spec t56. i didnt tell them what it was or what it meant, i did that on my own time. so they want me to rebuild one of the trans and just get it working again. so i happen to mention it would be kool to have a 6speed in my mustang and its slightly stronger than my trans blah blah blah. so they suggested paying me some cash and giving me the other trans i dont rebuild for them. i said i'd ponder that idea for a little bit and let them know.

i thought about rebuilding their OE trans and i'd take the Vspec. their vspec one is in better condition to rebuild and would be cheaper for them(parts wise) to do that and i'd take the OE off their hands. but if i could get my hands on the vspec it'd be worth it to me to do it for some money and the trans....otherwise i'd just want money. My problem is im a really honest person, to tell the truth...they would never know the difference, they dont even know there are different types of t56's....but i would know and i really pride myself in honest work and making a good name for myself. i've been doing really well lately doing side work for people pretty damn cheap(way way below shop cost) and with great satisfaction. and either way i do the work and get a trans+cash if i agree or just cash....they are getting off extremely freakin cheap for labor any way you look at it.

what would you guys do?

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 03-09-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...why put yourself in that position!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:48 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

A good friend of mine has a viper spec T-56 in one of his Turbo cars and I think it sucks, way to much gear shifting for me. He looks like a run away slave rowing a raft upstream from a water fall when I rode in the car with him. I drove the car, and it is ok for regular street driving but it sucks when trying to race the car. But it is your car so do what you want with it.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:49 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Do what you would want someone to do for you. If they found out later that you basically robbed them(in a sense anyway) how would you respond to that, knowing what you know? I would do what was best for them, and get what you can get. Just my opinion

Last edited by 5.0stanger; 03-09-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

^^^Good Biblical response Mr. Alex. I agree 100%, in fact, I never thought of it in that aspect.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:00 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

i dont want to do it for the swap, it was more for the value aspect of it. v spec is much more uncommon and worth more. i could clean it real nice, simple rebuild and turn it for a pretty penny.

i see what you guys are saying though, exactly how i felt, im super honest and lay straight for everyone i work with. i'd hate to get screwed like that. i'm gonna pull the main shaft in both and double check my original opinion. i'll also inform them of the differences. see what they wanna do. however if it ends up being they want the v-spec rebuilt i'll just take cash and tell them to sell the OE one back online and try to recoupe some of their losses.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

explain it to them and see if theyd be cool with just letting you get that V spec. I have one and its nice.... stronger for one, and the 6th gear ratio is real tall.... that might be why that one guy has to row through the gears so quick, a lotta people put one helluva gear in the back because they have that .50 6th to compensate for highway.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Yeah when I rode in it with him driving it and when I drove it, it had 4.10's in it. Try that much shifting @ 15psi of boost on an AFR headed, custom trubo cam foxbody LX. Way too much shifting.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

If you were super honest this would be a no brainer. Not trying to be your judge but thats just the way it is. You would have already told him what a great transmission the Vspec is and told him thats the one to build. It's bad enough he got ripped off by the guy selling it so you don't need to compound to his misfortune. We have all done stuff we are not proud of and if you have any kind of moral thread this will come back and bite you in the azz.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:50 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by Portmaster
If you were super honest this would be a no brainer. Not trying to be your judge but thats just the way it is. You would have already told him what a great transmission the Vspec is and told him thats the one to build. It's bad enough he got ripped off by the guy selling it so you don't need to compound to his misfortune. We have all done stuff we are not proud of and if you have any kind of moral thread this will come back and bite you in the azz.

you may just understand the timing. i havent talked to them since i found out it was a vspec so its not fair to judge since i havent even had a chance to do anything yet(i re read that sentence, i see what you mean though, cause i put the one sentence first about not telling them yet what the difference is, i actually found out afterwards. i was at their house on friday and i found out sunday). and im not trying to rip them off. they are getting a rebuilt transmission hella cheap any way you look at it. just curious what everyone thought. hell, they may not even want the different gearing the vspec has. i'll just lay it out for them exactly everything thats different between the two. make them a well informed customer.

and to XP, im not gonna ask them for the trans, im going to leave it up to them and they tell me what they want and i'll base what i want off their response.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 03-09-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: moral dilema, help me out guys