5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

hydraulic and roller cam info

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

another dumb questio but what is mechanical roller cam? is that what must be used with solid lifters?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

A mechaical roller cam use a soilid lifter with a roller on the bottom. Litlers are not interchangable between a Mechanical and mechanical roller cam. Mechanical roller is the ultimate race cam. You can run monster lift and duration with the solid roller
Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

thanks portmaster great info but some one mensiond earlier that going with the mechanical roller i will have no vacuum for brakes is there a specific reason for that?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Solid Roller Cam engines will generally kill Hydraulic Roller engines as far as power output. Biggest problem with solid roller's are the fact that they are not the cam you will want in a street car, very radical idles on most, no vacuum for brakes. Solid lift valve train will need more maintenance than the hydraulic lift engines. It's all in what you can live with. I personally wouldn't want a solid lift street car as there are some amazing cam grinders out there that can grind you a hydraulic cam that makes nearly as much power as a solid without the headache of having a solid lift cam.
Lots of bad info here. Hyd roller will NOT make the same power as a solid roller. Maintenance on a solid roller is minimal, vacuum is no issue either.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:01 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

thanks woodsy for clearning it up since i couldent understand why it would effect vacuum
Old 03-13-2009, 09:15 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Go ahead and stick a solid roller in your car. It will make good power on the topside like you probably haven't ever driven before. When you go to stop the car from that first 100+mph blast, let me know how the power brakes work out for ya!!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:20 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

parachutes are good for me
Old 03-13-2009, 09:27 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

If it's going in an all out drag car, then by all means, I wouldn't build anything but a solid roller engine. I was assuming you were inquiring about a street car. Not that they can't be run on the street, but they will effect power brakes, regardless what Woodsy says. I have seen it happen to many times If it is going on a street car of yours, do yourself a favor and go ahead and invest in a vacuum canister.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:52 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

can you give me some more info of a vacuum canister? and how the solid lifters effect brakes?

since all the good brake kits require 17"+ wheels and i got 15 inch weld's with m/t tires and skinnies for the front
Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

There is a link to one on Summit's website. I don't know the science behind why alot of solid lift cams don't make vacuum, I just know that alot of them won't allow the engine to make enough vacuum for vacuum power accessories.

Quick Reply: hydraulic and roller cam info