5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

331 Stroker questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by saleenpride1986
if you're too cheap to get forced induction, You probably will be more 'too cheap' to buy a stroker. It's likely going to cost more than just a super or turbo charger. Since you'd basically be upping everything in your engine right now, as you will be starving the **** out of a stroker.
well its not that im too cheap, ive got a well paying job, and i think winter time next year, i will be able to move up to a stroker or forced induction...but i was leaning more towards the stroker cause it seemed cheaper, but now that im looking at everything it would probably be the same if not more with everything else, like you said, heads, better cam, intake, carb etc etc...
Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by TopNotch89
i agree, i wouldnt build a **** stroker....lol i was just curious as to what needed to be spent on such to make it smooth running, healthy motor....
if you put together the right combo, you'll never need a power adder for a stroker, although I have No2 on my 347, I don't plan on having to use it to reach my goal
Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
if you put together the right combo, you'll never need a power adder for a stroker, although I have No2 on my 347, I don't plan on having to use it to reach my goal
thats cool, so a stroker could be the way to go? over forced induction that is...
Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 AM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

A stroker will be more reliable, unless of course you abuse it, regardless then both will be unreliable. Having forced induction will require quite a bit more tuning and more time invested to make it run properly and functionally (not that I have had this issue or first hand knowledge of my own, but I read it everywhere.)

A stroker as such when i put mine in, took a simple tps and idle reset, let it chill for a little while and it's done! Just make sure to get the right parts, and spend the extra penny or you will suffer in the long run.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 AM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

A stroker will be more reliable, unless of course you abuse it, regardless then both will be unreliable. Having forced induction will require quite a bit more tuning and more time invested to make it run properly and functionally (not that I have had this issue or first hand knowledge of my own, but I read it everywhere.)

A stroker as such when i put mine in, took a simple tps and idle reset, let it chill for a little while and it's done! Just make sure to get the right parts, and spend the extra penny or you will suffer in the long run.
sounds like a sweet deal! hah yea i think i would go with a stroker over forced air. every stroker kit ive seen on youtube or streetfire sound mean too! alot of em have a heavy loping cam and it just sounds badass. thatnks for all of your input everyone, this is great!

im probably bugging the **** out of people, but im still wondering if my holley intake sucks that much *** that it wont perform well for the list of mods i have now...and believe me, with the stuff ive got, i know i dont have anything special, but it was my first build, and a budget. its just an aluminum holley single plane high rise intake...
Old 03-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TopNotch89
the one ive got is a single plane.
OK the Chevy version was a dual plane but I've never tested the Ford version but had a guy tell me last night that the Street Dominator came both ways. It was built in a Dual plane for a short time then went to single plane for the fords. I've never tested the single plane version for the ford so I'll clear that one up so no confusion. To give you an idea of what Holley thinks of thier own intakes (carbed ford) they bought Weiand Intakes and discontinued the Carbed Ford intakes. Then They hired one of the chief designers from Edelbrock to come in and design new Weiand intakes. Thats not to say Weiand doesn't have some good intakes of their own. The Team G is an excellant intake and the stealth held it's own for a while. When I'm swap meet hunting I run across the Street dominators quite often because thay have a strong resemblance to the original Chevy 302 Z28 intake from the rear. I'm always hunting for those intakes at swap meets and often times mistake them from a distance. I can't comment on your single plane street dominator. I've never tried that version
Old 03-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

**off topic this is for portmaster** I just noticed that your sig pic is a die cast picture??? Is that accurate or is that just the way it looks on the image?
That is a photo of a GMP Diecast. "Dark Horse" 85 Coupe. Thats a Photo I took of the diecast car sitting on foam rubber I took out of the box my Comp roller rockers came in. My car shold look near identical to this when finished. I was going to have an artist redering done when a friend showed me one of these. I forked over about a hundred bucks for that thing, lol
Old 03-13-2009, 08:27 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I have seen the Ford and Chevy version. They didn't impress me by far. I would put a nail on the wall and hang that old Holley up for nostalgic reasons and wouldn't ever put it on a car. IMO, they are not worth the trouble it would take to install one. I say junk it.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
I have seen the Ford and Chevy version. They didn't impress me by far. I would put a nail on the wall and hang that old Holley up for nostalgic reasons and wouldn't ever put it on a car. IMO, they are not worth the trouble it would take to install one. I say junk it.
You know they ain't worth much when you see a homeless man kick one out the way to pick up a Coke can, hahahahaha!!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I sold one last year off of a 1971 Chevy truck to a friend of mine for $20 bucks and I felt guilty about it. There was a Ford version of this intake at one of my local machine shops for sale for over a year for $50. The shop owner told the guy to come get it or it was going to scrap, the intake went to the aluminum scrap barrel with other pistons and such.

Quick Reply: 331 Stroker questions