5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Spark Plug Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:36 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Default Spark Plug Gasket Question

so yeah, i was watching horsepower, and they were doing a TF H/C/I swap on their POS mustang, and they mentioned that Trick Flow required Gasketed Spark Plugs, and i said oh ****, thats what those are, adn yeah i didnt put the gaskets on mine when i did my H/C/I swap (i just checked...) so yeah, how important are these, im about to go buy new ones, as well as some new oil (its been about 8 months since the swap/last change, and im a quart low )

so for the septumpth time, 5 quarts, correct?

also, for a slight status update, im pissed off at my engine as a whole, so sometime this year (once the engine is in the hotrod) im probably going to pull mine, which will give me the opportunity to do a couple of things
1 Replace oil pan gasket with a 1 peice (its leakin like a bitch out the front, i have like 20 little spots of oil on my driveway where i park)
2 Fab up a hydraulic Clutch assembly my friend gave me (this was bought for the RX7 5.0 swap, so it has a wilwood Master cylinder and a custom pull slave to mount to a T5) so im hoping to find some room to get that bish to work)
3 probably install a custom cam, this crane one isnt cuttin it...
4 actually install a filter element or whatnot in my PCV. (once again, my ignoramus self didnt get one, last time i pulled the upper intake it had oil residue all over it...
5 install a baffle in the breather thing to the TB (see 4)
6 fix all of the bull**** my cars been throwing at me, including the stripped exhaust bolt hole on my pass. cylinder head...

so yeah, bleh
Old 03-15-2009, 01:42 PM
89musclestang
2nd Gear Member

yes 5 quarts is right and as far as the gasket on the spark plugs is prolly due to the the twisted wedge design to set the plug back for better combustion...prolly not that big of an issue if you dont have gaskets on them but hey do as you want is your ride
Old 03-15-2009, 01:46 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

yeah, im just worried, cause the Plugs AFR said to use had the gaskets...

just to be safe im gonna get new ones anyways... thanks for the input dude
Old 03-15-2009, 01:52 PM
89musclestang
2nd Gear Member

no prob... always better to take the safe route
Old 03-15-2009, 01:55 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

also, im looking on AFR's website (filling out a custom cam form for later use) and its saying that part number 1402 requires hardened pushrods

what the hell is up with that, i never saw that before, and ive got 1402's... and stock replacement rods.......
Old 03-15-2009, 02:08 PM
89musclestang
2nd Gear Member

prolly want to make sure that thier coverin ther asses if somethin were to "malfunction" cuz i don't think that would matter.. and obviusly if you used stock replacement before
Old 03-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Explosive

I've seen a pushrod that failed, got a little groove notched into the side, that caught and it just bent itself into the shape of the number seven.

We got some Trick flow hardened ones.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

"6 fix all of the bull**** my cars been throwing at me, including the stripped exhaust bolt hole on my pass. cylinder head..."

Classic AFR BS!!!!!! No helicoils FTL!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:00 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Alot of guys like to see the aluminum pull out before they heli-coil the holes. I don't know why, but I have heard machinist say that before. The crappy Pro-Comps I run are the same way on their threaded holes, just aluminum.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

put the gaskets on the plugs..they are for sealing purposes.....and if you have guideplates you need hardened pushrods.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Gasket Question