5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

coupe suspension pics

Old 03-19-2009, 08:35 AM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

Default coupe suspension pics

Well, I attacked the upper control arms 2 days ago. It was a b*tch to take out the stock sleeve from the housing of the axle...once i figured out how to take one side off...the other was rather easy. Once the sleevs were off, the install was a breeze. No issues what so ever. Kit was SUPER easy to get on. Took about 3 hours max to do the upper set up. Only about an hour for the lowers. I even took the needed measurements to get my IC (instant center). I need to drop my car about another .75 inches to get it PERFECT. The whole point here is to make the lower control arms PARALLEL to the ground. That is step one. I cut the stock springs. I needed 1.5 inches to make it parralel. I have half of that now. So another 3/4 of an inch and she should be ready to set the pinion angle. Here are some pics of it...let me know what you all think...
Attached Thumbnails coupe suspension pics-picture-040.jpg   coupe suspension pics-picture-042.jpg   coupe suspension pics-picture-044.jpg   coupe suspension pics-picture-043.jpg   coupe suspension pics-picture-045.jpg  

Old 03-19-2009, 08:39 AM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

here are some of the mark viii e-fan install...cut about 1/2 inch off the shroud to make it fit...looks pretty factory to me...
Attached Thumbnails coupe suspension pics-picture-046.jpg   coupe suspension pics-picture-047.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you do understand control arms need to be parallel to the ground under load? otherwise when you launch and you are squats a little bit you'll be negative degrees pinion angle.
also you made sure and torqued down the bolts AFTER you have the car on the ground?

other than that it looks good
Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 AM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

i understand but confused with "control arms"

the lower control arms need to be parallel to the ground when the car is on all 4 wheels on the ground...ride height dictates the movement of the lower control arm

the uppers are not going to be parralel to the ground...

the uppers need to be set under load...170 lbs in the driver seat in my case

the pinion angle needs to be set at about -1 1/2 degrees...that way when the car launches the pinion angle is HOPEFULLY at 0 degrees....

i only weigh 170 lbs...no way i can fit under the car to torque the upper control arms...i seriously do no think they have to be torqued when they are on the ground...the upper arms pivot so it shouldnt matter...

i did drive it on my nitto drags and i can certainly feel the difference...doesnt spin in 2nd anymore on the street...

i'm sure my pinion angle is off a little but according to Kevin from baseline...it should be real close....gonna get on a drive on lift to adjust the angle on saturday once i bring the car down some more
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you can most deffinately tq down the bolts with your car in the air. you do have a solid axle...put the jack stands under your axle...wallah! your vehicles weights is now on the suspension. have the bolts semi tight but not tq'd then tq em down when the suspension is under load. and yes if can make the bushings bind if they arent tq'd while under vehicle load. should even tell you that in the instrutions.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:39 AM
roostracing
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
you can most deffinately tq down the bolts with your car in the air. you do have a solid axle...put the jack stands under your axle...wallah! your vehicles weights is now on the suspension. have the bolts semi tight but not tq'd then tq em down when the suspension is under load. and yes if can make the bushings bind if they arent tq'd while under vehicle load. should even tell you that in the instrutions.
i can assure you it has been done correctly...does not say that in instuctions OR how much to torque it to...done this a couple of times and havent had any problems so far

you took me for a spin with this comment, "torqued down the bolts AFTER you have the car on the ground"...thats why i said i wouldnt fit under there...lol

once i get the lower control arms parallel to the ground...im gonna have to lower the front stance...if not itll look weird
Old 03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Looks good but those arms look a lil on the spindly side. What brand are they.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by PRO50SC
Looks good but those arms look a lil on the spindly side. What brand are they.

i thoguht about saying the same thing cause mine and most others i've seen look wayyy bigger in diameter. and i think he said their baseline or soemthing.^^^
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Those lowers look a little scary, lol
Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 AM
xxxmustangtxhc
2nd Gear Member

they look like march brackets...... i would not put those on my car ^^^^^ SCARY....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coupe suspension pics