5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Very slight hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

Default Very slight hesitation

I have a very slight hesitation below 1500 when im starting to give about 1/2 or more throttle. Any idea on a cause?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:23 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

does it do when you pop the throttle to the floor and let off?How long is the hesitation?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Its when i pop it to 1/2 or more throttle. The hesitation is about the time it takes to snap your fingers.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

I think that's just lag,your motor trying to catch up with your foot lol
Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sounds like it may have a slight lean condition, koer test, look for codes, and or vaccum leaks also
Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by mjr46
sounds like it may have a slight lean condition, koer test, look for codes, and or vaccum leaks also
LoL, you should just put in your signature "run a koer test" thats your favorite saying. I checked for vac leaks and didnt see/feel any, the only definate leak I have is in the exhaust where the intermediate pipe meets the tailpipe section, a rather large one too. I have to get that welded together and then Ill go from there. In the mean time ill run a koer.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:17 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Slo5oh
LoL, you should just put in your signature "run a koer test" thats your favorite saying. .
YOU KNOW WHY???.......PROPER troubleshooting begins with:
first:Understand customer complaint = Here I rely on your ametuer ability to explain the issue
second: verify complaint through a visual or test drive and after that based on what I properly interpret the situation to be, I perform a visual if need be of the car and under the hood.
Third if visual reveals nothing, ALWAYS USE whatever vehicle self diagnostics are availible and use them properly.....problem here is most deem this function useless cause they fail to comprehend it's design, purpose and function....hence we see 3-4 pages on a thread of a "I'M LOST"

4th if koer reveals nothing based on what causes a hesitation/misfire I look at components that cause incomplete combustion = hesitation/misfire.....often times a hesitation off Idle is a lean spot, on a efi car it could be a glitch in the tps, vaccum leak, faulty ignition parts/components, faulty o2 readings, exhaust leaks before o2's that'll skew readings, weak spring in egr valve causing pintle to lift,ect ect

To be a good diagnostician one must develop a strategy that always yields results and once you have one, don't deviate from it or risk becoming lost in the process

Last edited by mjr46; 03-23-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Slo5oh
Banned

YOU KNOW WHY???.......PROPER troubleshooting begins with:
first:Understand customer complaint = Here I rely on your ametuer ability to explain the issue
second: verify complaint through a visual or test drive and after that based on what I properly interpret the situation to be, I perform a visual if need be of the car and under the hood.
Third if visual reveals nothing, ALWAYS USE whatever vehicle self diagnostics are availible and use them properly.....problem here is most deem this function useless cause they fail to comprehend it's design, purpose and function....hence we see 3-4 pages on a thread of a "I'M LOST"

4th if koer reveals nothing based on what causes a hesitation/misfire I look at components that cause incomplete combustion = hesitation/misfire.....often times a hesitation off Idle is a lean spot, on a efi car it could be a glitch in the tps, vaccum leak, faulty ignition parts/components, faulty o2 readings, exhaust leaks before o2's that'll skew readings, weak spring in egr valve causing pintle to lift,ect ect

To be a good diagnostician one must develop a strategy that always yields results and once you have one, don't deviate from it or risk becoming lost in the process
Of course. I wasnt disagreeing. Its just a staple of your conversations as a result
Old 03-24-2009, 11:04 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^I know, I'm just explaining the way most techs should think in order to resolve drivibility issues
Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

^^^^I know, I'm just explaining the way most techs should think in order to resolve drivibility issues
i concur.

I havent done a computer check on an obd1 since....forever ago. I remember I had a hard time getting the same reading from check to check. I was using an obd1 scanner, which i still have, and not reading the cel. It would throw codes like 21, then 17 the next time, and 36 the time after that. Is there a procedure for reading the beeps/flashes that I was doing incorrectly?

Quick Reply: Very slight hesitation