5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

general question about tires and safety

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:17 PM
cepowers18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JD1969
Sounds like you could have your own "fun experiences" with her.
haha, that's what I was thinking, too, after I read it. But yeah, you absolutely did the right thing. No way was that car safe for the road. Some people...
Old 03-24-2009, 01:38 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

After an arguement with her guy like that I would have went and bought a used tire for her at least.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:52 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
ok im pretty sure i know the answer...just like to clarify though because i hope i was right and just wasnt being an azzhole. i just recently had an argument with the husband of a customer of mine...a lady i work with.

i replaced rotors, wheel bearings, and breaks and i noticed her driver side rear tire was damaged, i told her not to drive her car until she gets that tire fixed. it was a gash about 12 inches long and about 2 inches up the tire from where the tire meets the rim and i could fit my pinky finger in the crack, but the tire still held air.

she told her husband that he needed to go get it replaced for her tomorrow. he said, "no, it still holds air it'll be fine, just drive it" i told him no he was wrong and he needs to replace that tire because its a safety hazard. then i said after argueing for a little while "fine, you can let her drive it but i will not be liable since you've now been informed that car is not in safe driving condition."
(FYI i just do side work for people, not a professional or certified mechanic)

ok to my general question
when you see tires with damage to them, more focusing on the side wall in my examples, when is "...ok" to drive the car and when does it become a unsafe/hazard to drive the car to where you should park it until you get another tire.

-when you rub against a curb and the white threading shows on the side wall.

-a bubble protruding through the sidewall

-cracking beging in the sidewall(kind of like how an old serpetine belt looks)

-small crack on the side wall through the side wall

-a lengthy crack through the sidewall along the length of the tire where you can almost stick your finger in the crack but the tire still holds air

Anytime you have potential for a blowout is what considered dangerous to drive on to a majority of people. All those traits you lsited are blowout potentials.

This is sidewall only.

You also have: gashes or any damage of any sort to the bead and a puncture in the sidewall (patched or otherwise)
Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Most of the time when you have to ask yourself the question should I replace it, you should replace it. Tire are definitely not a area where you do not what to be cheap.