5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

thinking bout switchin to carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

not being a dick why dont you just get your efi to work properly? seems more worth while then buying allllll these parts to go carbs and dealing with those new issues to get it to run properly. sounds like more headache than its worth.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:58 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

88gt speed density car? + f cam = headache

i agree your mods are very small,and could be as simple as a code check or the s/d or if you did do a mass air conversion it could also be as simple as a salt and pepper connectors<there was a recall on this.

it can also be mechanical improper valvetrain set up comes to mind.

i don't know your previous problems,but a carb swap might be even more of a headache for ya
Old 03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

^^^ exactly. you should figure out your problems before you go changing other things and make more problems for youself.

it shouldnt be too difficult to hunt down your EFI problems. what exactly are you experiencing and what codes have you pulled thus far?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

fivepointohh i understand what u r sayin but like i said i have been thinkin bout it and parts r cheaper for carbs than efi and the way it is right now the fuel pump dont turn on again and it wont idle and it dont have any throttle response i have redone the salt and pepper connector to an it is converted to mas air
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what do you mean the fp doesn't come on again??
Old 03-30-2009, 10:29 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

yep once again
Old 03-31-2009, 08:30 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

a proper carb set-up will cost you about the same as efi..pick-up/fuel lines wiring/distributor/ignition box/fuel pump/regulator/carb/cable/intake..oh you can go cheap as hell cut corners,and do without a few things,but i'll bet a hamburger you'll be posting all sorts of carb problems.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

have you ran codes??

when the FP doesnt come on is your intertia switch bumped off? how did you fix it last time since this is not the first time its done this. have you checked the relays/fuses?

as far as your idle goes when you get it running. did you set your TPS, base idle, check timing? have you unplugged the IAC while running to see if it makes a difference. do you still have an EGR? have your ran codes to see if anything else is faulty like ATC, EGR or something similar? have you cleaned your MAF?

im thinkin you arent putting your best foot forward in trouble shooting so thats why im advising against switching to carb because grabbem is right, i know you'll have tons of carb thread questions. your EFI isnt that difficult to figure out, but you actually have to check things when you're having issues.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 03-31-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1988TTOP
so you dont know if there worth a ****?
The Summit brand carbs are excellant carbs. They are built by Holley. Holley built this carb in the 80's and early 90's and they marketed it under the 4010-4011 models. It was discontinued because of poor sales not poor performance. The public just liked the traditional Holley so it was dropped from the lineup. At 224 dollars for the 600 cfp version with the fuel line included it's a certified bargin. The Summit line Intake manifolds are well made with excellant port alignment and bears a more than strong resemblance to to Professional Products line. For those that don't know in many cases a Professional Products intake often out performs the intake it copies. I've seen a PP Hurricane out perform a Victor Jr. on a Big Block Chevy right out of the box. I havnt compared a Crosswind against a RPM Air gap but I do know they are well made. There are some deals out there on well performing parts if you know where to look.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

for the record i'm not trying to be a peter head lol) i just think i can help ya out with your efi problems before you try to short cut to the carb route....

Quick Reply: thinking bout switchin to carb