5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Daily driving with skinnies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

mine isn't daily driven but I have run the skinnies for the past two years on the street and it drives well but nowhere near as well when it had full street tires all the way around.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:10 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

I drive mine alot, even 40 miles each way to work on 70mph highways at times. No problems with my 4" skinnies with 165r15's on it.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:54 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bighungrymatt
yeah it does look silly on street cars, but I dont drive it much on streets, mainly track =)
take her out of garage about 3 times a month
As long as you know that.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I drive so slow on the highway I look like I'm coming down the return lane at the dragstrip. It's rare I get over 50mph in any of my high power street cars. I keep plenty of distance between me and the car in front of me. No power steering, no power brakes, no radio 3-4 inch exhaust rumbling easily down the highway and I'm in my own little world.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 AM
QuarterHorse00
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
I drive so slow on the highway I look like I'm coming down the return lane at the dragstrip. It's rare I get over 50mph in any of my high power street cars. I keep plenty of distance between me and the car in front of me. No power steering, no power brakes, no radio 3-4 inch exhaust rumbling easily down the highway and I'm in my own little world.
That wouldn't be enjoyable to me being limited like that. Even when I had 4.30's in my last ride I would roll out at 65 down the interstate with a C4 and 28" tires haha. It was loud, but I was hittin' the speed limit. Now the trick this year is to be into the 10's with a stock short block and 17" wheels so I can roll down the interstate at 75 turning 2400R's on the way home.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:15 PM
Sick5.0LX
2nd Gear Member

Just for comparing, a 95 Metro comes stock is 13" wheels and 145s... there is nothing wrong or illegal about driving on skinny tires, so I don't see why cops would hassle you over it. Many cars on the road run super skinny tires from the factory. I had 165s up front on the notch in my sig, It made 2 trips to VA and FL and back, and was driven a lot around town, no issues. Only complaint, I would say (like someone already mentioned), is the tentency for the fronts to lock up when you hit the brakes hard, so try to stay out of the rain as much as possible.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

yeah because a 95 Metro and a V8 mustang have a lot in common...
Old 03-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Sick5.0LX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OnyxCobra
yeah because a 95 Metro and a V8 mustang have a lot in common...
Hey thanks... I did not realize that. The 5.0 isnt a whole hell of a lot heavier than its 4cyl counterpart either which is kind of comparable to the metro. That wasn't my point anyways, my point was in response to someone elses comment about cops hassling the driving of a mustang with skinnies up front, which wouldn't happen.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:36 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

a 5oh stang is gonna be heavier than the 4 banger and a metro.... have you ever seen the MOTOR on those things?!?! i see em in the boneyard all the time, i feel like i could stuff it under my shirt and walk out of there lol. and no i'm not fat....
just saying our 2.3L stang is heavier than that metro by a long shot, and the 5oh is gonna put even more weight behind the front brakes.
whatever he's comfortable with though, on my 83 i ran 185's up front, but i have my sn as my DD
Old 03-29-2009, 01:54 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sick5.0LX
Hey thanks... I did not realize that. The 5.0 isnt a whole hell of a lot heavier than its 4cyl counterpart either which is kind of comparable to the metro. That wasn't my point anyways, my point was in response to someone elses comment about cops hassling the driving of a mustang with skinnies up front, which wouldn't happen.
I honestly think if push came to shove and you caused an accident with your "skinnies" you could be held responsible for not running OE sized tires on your car. Multiple people have said they lock up easy under hard braking or while driving in the rain, which is obviously unsafe.

It's kind of like HID headlights, if the car came with them from the factory they are legal but if you put them in your car aftermarket they are illegal because they can be unsafe to other drivers.

Bottom line Mustangs are a lot heavier than Metros and they need more rubber up front to turn and stop them.

Quick Reply: Daily driving with skinnies?