5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What Gear Lube To Run ? (2 Questions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Explosive

Default What Gear Lube To Run ? (2 Questions)

First, is Royal Purple Max Gear the stuff you don't need friction modifier for? Also, how many bottle should I get ? ( went with the trickflow girdle)

http://www.royalpurple.com/gear-oil.html

Also, last time I used the car, I just topped off the diff with a bottle of lucas gear lube,

Now, is that stuff ok for the rear diff ? It says it has additives in it, so would stuff be good enough for topping the diff off again and driving it to work to do the cover ? (works less than 10 miles away from home.)

Or should I use cheaper stuff ? I don't want to mess anything up.

Also, how many bottle do you think it will take with stock cover on it ? I need to top it off to get to work, I'm going to guess it's damn near bone dry, that sucker was leaking bad enough to leave a nice trail leading to a puddle over our garages man hole style drain. So it leaked bad !!!

Thanks for input.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

You don't want to be drivin that thing without lube in the differential.

I'd call royal purple if it doesn't obviously say you don't have to use limited slip friction modifier.

I used 80w-90 lucas oil in my dana 60 with a detroit locker.... but that's a detroit locker and doesn't require friciton modifier. I wouldn't risk using lucas oil without modifier, like it says on the bottle, the additive they use is simply to reduce gear whine.

I'm going to using royal purple in my rear end w/ 3.73s, not that the gear ratio makes a difference, but I'm still going to add friction modifier. Unless it explicitly says on the bottle do not add modifier.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Explosive

Couple other issues.

I assume I'll want to go with the Max Gear 75W90 ?

Is there a such thing as to much friction modifier ? Back when I had my old truck I was going to redo the rear end, so I have two bottle of untouched friction modifier I thought the 8.8's required two bottles correct ?

If this is true, would I be safe say, buying some cheap *** car quest brand gear lube, dumping two bottles of modifier into it and driving to work. Like I said, I'm only driving it to work with the fluid in there, and it's not a long drive or anything like that, and I'll be taking it easy.

Other thing, amount, how many bottles stock, and how many bottles of the max gear should I get for the trick flow cover ?

Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Explosive

Also, I copied and pasted off royal purples website,

"...Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary..."

I'm assuming that means I don't need to add modifier ?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Well you only need 1 tube of friction modifier in your differential. I can't really give you a bottle quantity as I haven't filled my rear end up yet. The trickflow cover should have included instructions that tell you how much and how to fill it,. My dana-60 in my Chevelle has a pretty large housing, for a 9.75 inch gear (as opposed to the 8.8 in ford) and it took 1 and a half of the Lucas bottles. Remember it's not supposed to be completely full.

If your just going to drive to your shop, change the girdle, and then of course fill it back up, your still going to want to keep one of those frictions mods.

The royal purple description that you posted appears to not need modifier, but as I said, without being 100% sure I would call royal purple and just double check with them. I don't know about you but I don't like to take chances with my car, considering how much money I spend on it.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Explosive

Yea, and trickflow says to pull the fill plug (oddly only half way up the cover ? ) and fill until the lube trickles out.

This is the cover,

So you think two bottles should filler up ?

Oh, I'd have to fill it up all the way with the stock cover, since the only fill is at the top of the diff.

And this is the modifier I have, you're saying one of these bottles for the diff ?

Old 03-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Stock 8.8's should have a fill plug on the back side of the housing, right above the flange that the dog bone bolts on. I don't think its on the top...

Look right behind the yellow DOT Approved tag on the braided brake line. This should be a fill plug that is not on the top of the housing. Again, I have never used it as I also have a girdle so I am not 100% positive, just 99%.

[img]

[/img]

One bottle is all you need, I've got a tube of friction modifier that looks like a toothpaste tube, actually. But it should be basically the same stuff. With the tube of modifier in there, probably one bottle of lube will do you. But it doesn't hurt to get another bottle as back up, they are like what, 8-12 dollars. Hmm, that's lucas.... maybe royal purple is alot more money but Idk.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Explosive

Yea thats the fill plug I meant. It's on the upper half.

I suppose I'll get 3 bottles of the royal purple just in case she's thirsty...

Toss a bottle of modifier in and throw in some other stuff, so do you think any ol gear lube would be fine with a bottle of modifier, seeing as to how the cheap stuff won't even be in there for 24 hours tops.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you fill up until it trickles out of the fill hole. its comes out to be like 2.78 liters or something like that. i cant remember exactly what my chilton said when i re bearing/seal the rear end, been a while since i've done that now.

when i did my rear end i just used hypoid gear oil. with the royal purple gear oil you dont need an additive.