5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Well shes up and running

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:17 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Default Well shes up and running

Got the car running this weekend, ill get a video up soon.

I got a hold of some 24lbs injectors with matching pro m coldair and maf. The only thing hats wrong is at WOT it seems to want to buck, and sometime it surges and dies. Iv check for vac leaks and all, but during the build my timing pointer got bent so its not right on, ill be putting one on this week and timing correctly, Wha else should i check
Old 04-06-2009, 09:57 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

bump^^^

Got the timing pointer fixed, set at 12*. SOmetimes it idles then dies, and at WOT under load its like starving or something, it kinda boggs and bucks
Old 04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
89musclestang
2nd Gear Member

do u have a stock fuel pump in it? could be goin bad.. just a thought
Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

yeah stock fuel pump!!!! I have to order my shrader valve adapter to my fuel pressure tester so i can check that.. I ran the car with the 19lbs and i remeber the idle thing was the same but i never went WOT with those
Old 04-06-2009, 11:03 PM
89musclestang
2nd Gear Member

hmm did replace your fuel filter lately that could be cloggin up.. umm just tryin to think of other things that would seem to starve it.... maybe your tps sensor or... is it MAF or SD?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

does ur pro-m meter have the screen? i assume you have the typical cold air kit like a BBK. i copied this right from promracing.com if you run the stock box you dont need the special calibration and screen.

"The use of an elbow causes the air to "roll" as it comes around the turn. This rolling air creates pockets of turbulence that pass by the Mass Air Flow sensing element. This turbulent air creates an inaccurate voltage output, which is interpreted by the PCM (engine computer), as an inaccurate amount of intake air. Other mass air meter manufacturers have attempted to solve this problem through "Cold Air" calibrations, but the fact is, there are too many variables for that method to be consistently effective. Different elbows with different shapes will cause different levels of turbulence. The air screen solves this problem. As the turbulent air passes through the screen, the air is "smoothed", eliminating the turbulence. This allows the Mass Air Flow meter to generate an accurate voltage signal to the PCM based upon an accurate measurement of the air mass passing through it."
Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89musclestang
hmm did replace your fuel filter lately that could be cloggin up.. umm just tryin to think of other things that would seem to starve it.... maybe your tps sensor or... is it MAF or SD?
Its only got about 2000 miles on it and iv cleaned it inbetween then, but i really need to change it anyways, just cause its been like 9 months and the car set for like 1 month. ALso when i deleted the vapor box i just cut the vent line coming from the tank and left it open so it could vent, i dont know if that matter, thanks for the replys

Originally Posted by nacanitihs
does ur pro-m meter have the screen? i assume you have the typical cold air kit like a BBK. i copied this right from promracing.com if you run the stock box you dont need the special calibration and screen.

"The use of an elbow causes the air to "roll" as it comes around the turn. This rolling air creates pockets of turbulence that pass by the Mass Air Flow sensing element. This turbulent air creates an inaccurate voltage output, which is interpreted by the PCM (engine computer), as an inaccurate amount of intake air. Other mass air meter manufacturers have attempted to solve this problem through "Cold Air" calibrations, but the fact is, there are too many variables for that method to be consistently effective. Different elbows with different shapes will cause different levels of turbulence. The air screen solves this problem. As the turbulent air passes through the screen, the air is "smoothed", eliminating the turbulence. This allows the Mass Air Flow meter to generate an accurate voltage signal to the PCM based upon an accurate measurement of the air mass passing through it."

No theres no screen, its a black plastic mold that goes to the maf sensor. The set up i thinks for a sn95 cause the filter bolts to the maf housing and the bracet isnt for a fox!!! thanks for the info
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I Have been having the same issue for the last 2 years on and off and I have a Pro M MAF....hmmm, wonder if there is a connection. I always get a code 66 when it starts acting up.

OP, have you pulled your codes?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

nope not yet,lolill pull them tomarrow and see what i get. It seems when it dont aont to start if i pump the gas once if fires up. idk whats up my gues is a fuel proplem but were to start.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

I took the fuel filter off and blew it out and cleaned it. I could see a light rust color, reinstalled and not at WOT is fine but it still idles surges sometimes. I pulled codes and i left them in the garage, i know there was 44, and 91. \\Im going to get an new filter tommarrow and run some sea foam through it. Any other suggeaton i should look for???

Quick Reply: Well shes up and running