5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

LX 1988 Auto, Summer car how to get 500 HP

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 AM
ibayter
2nd Gear Member

Smile LX 1988 Auto, Summer car how to get 500 HP

Hello guys,
Anyone could tell me if we have a thread where I can go and find out what set up is better to go and get 500 H.P out of my stock car and still drive it during summer time to work every day ? I only drive less than 30 Km a day from hme to work. I have some shortie headder BBK that I have not installed them yet, I wan to do it when I take my engine out of the car ( this is my first time I am going to do it myself, I have seen it my mech doing it all my life) I am also planning to get a supercharge or turbo later on not now but I would like to have my Aluminum Heads and my cam so I will apreciate your input as what brand goes with an so on.
I think I am not sure that my converter is like for racing because when I hit my overdrive you can feel the way it engage and goes fast, how do you find out when I bring my engine down and take it apart from my Tranny ?

Thanks guys !

Ivan
Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

for the 500hp you can do it soooo many ways. for one you have to know thats nearing the general limits of the block itself. with that being said..

how much is your budget?
over how much time do you plan on doing this build?
are you wanting to get there NA or with a power adder?

also IMO you should more shoot for a ET you'd like to hit vs. being a dyno queen. i say this because 500hp on stock suspension = slow!!!

just as an example, i want to hit 11.99 or better on a stock bottom end 302. now that you have a goal, you have to plan your budget and build around that goal. hope that helps. i have no idea how much hp it will have but at least i know it'll be quick.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 AM
ibayter
2nd Gear Member

Thank you for your reply, I want to keep my stock bottom end 302 like you, if I need to change my suspension I will do it and I don't mind been in 11-12 sec. so what do I have to do now? I need to start getting the prices on the parts so I can have this done. I will like to have a nice boost like supercharge or turbo, I do not know which one is better. My friend has a supercharge on his and it run nice.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:31 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

turbo IMO is much more flexible but can become more complicated quickly. me and my friend just built a turbo fox(his car) which there is a huge long thread on here about it. it turned out very very well. made 342rwhp and 408lbs tq @12 psi (mustang dyno)on a 100% stock mustang now with some suspension we could put that thing into the 12's easy.

supercharged cars are sweet though, direct bolt on, not much you can really mess up and generally you can find used ones really cheap.

i would either start with your suspension or used supercharger.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:51 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

its gona take a LOT of work man. Getting there isnt as simple as just picking parts out of the catelog.
you need an upgraded fuel system, upgraded rearend, upgraded transmission. those parts tend to go boom when you increase the hp a lot.
Then you need to think about suspension because with that much hp it would be almost unsafe in stock form, will prob need a tire to help with traction. Might want to consider some sort of tuner also

If you are fine with having somewhere around 300hp300trq and then get closer to the 500 by adding nitrous this would be a good rout to go! do a hci with nitrous and you will be nocking at the door of 500hp
Old 04-15-2009, 05:53 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

A well thought out H/C/I package and a Vortech supercharger will get you to your goals. And like Kweb said, you will need the proper fuel(42lb injectors, 255lph fuel pump), all the supporting mods(exhaust, larger MAF, etc.), and a good tune. Get ready to throw some $$$ at the stang.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:32 PM
xxxmustangtxhc
2nd Gear Member

300 shot will get you there.... he he he
Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I think you picked the wrong bull for your first trip to the rodeo
Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 AM
ibayter
2nd Gear Member

Ok guys, I am going to ride this bull je,je,je I want to go with the supercharge but first as you all told me I am going to start with the suspension, should I change upper and lower arm on the front and the rear ? what brand is better guys ? then I will go and check the rear end to find out what ratio I have now ? which one is good to go that can be good in the hwy and on the street ? then I will reinforced my chassis, it is cracking all over when I pull her hard with the stock engine. then I will go with the fuel and then to the engine bay, MSD
Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Before you get in deep you need to have a PLAN. Do you want a steet car? Steet Strip car? Corner Carver? Top end car? There are so many ways to build and so many ways to get there. Do you want carbed, FI, Turbo, Blower or just raw power. It can be simple or complex. The question is just way too wide ranging to come off with a one off answer

Quick Reply: LX 1988 Auto, Summer car how to get 500 HP