5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Paint, engine and bay.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Default Paint, engine and bay.

Ill be repainting my car again at the begining of May, this time I am going to; pull the engine, paint it, clean the engine bay, remove wires, fiberglass unnecessary holes, change out the gt body pieces for lx pieces, fix the rust spots, and repaint the trim.

The engine block, heads, and timing cover blue (I have not decided on the manifold, though I will probably paint that blue as well.) I have a pair of chrome valve covers with blue lettering which read '(FORD) Motorsport' with Y style hold downs that will go on it. The intake is an air gap, and Ill have a 4150 on there as well. Im going for the retro stock look.

The engine bay Im going to paint black, maybe por15, but not the top lip of the fender that goes into the bay, that will be white. The underside of the hood and the hood hinges are going to be black as well.

The car is going to be painted white again, but I am trying to trade off my GT body parts for LX parts so I am going to wait until that happens. That is basicly going to dictate when this all happens.

I think to reward my hard work at the end of it, Im going to treat myself to a set of draglites.

What do you think about the engine bay being black vs body color?
Does anyone know the correct engine/engine bay color scheme for late 60s early 70s mustang for sure? From what I can tell it looks like that (minus the valve covers)

The engine is how I envision painting it

The other picture is how my car looks now.
Attached Thumbnails Paint, engine and bay.-nathan1.jpg   Paint, engine and bay.-mustangsigpic1.jpg  

Last edited by Slo5oh; 04-20-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

i say engine bay should be black with a white body. i use to have a white fox. and when i pulled the motor and did the same thing you are gunna do. i painted it black and it looked so much better.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:18 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I agree, the bay looks sooo much better in black than any other color.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:22 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

black engine bay really helps the motor stand out. im doing black enginebay as well.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Also, does it matter if I use fiberglass or bondo to fill the holes? Either one I can do fine, I prefer fiberglass but Im only concerned about a fire hazard. I burnt my old truck up from a fiberglass scoop that caught fire from a rag.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

weld them
Old 04-20-2009, 01:55 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you really should weld them shut. but if you cant fiberglass is fine and bondo to smooth.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

ya most people weld it, then grind it smooth
Old 04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
you really should weld them shut. but if you cant fiberglass is fine and bondo to smooth.
Yea I know I know I should but I am not a welder by any means. Im sure I could get someone to do it for me though.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Is that 292 Y block going in your Mustang?

If you want that true 60's look use Satin Black paint and not gloss black. The only reason I did mine in gloss black is my car will be gloss black

Quick Reply: Paint, engine and bay.