5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Im sick of my auto tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:12 PM
90Mustang_GT
1st Gear Member

Default Im sick of my auto tranny...

Im so fed up with this stupid tranny, i am tired of being at a 50 mph roll, and punching it, and being stuck in 3rd gear and set a slow crawl. Im wondering if anyone knows how much i should spend on a used T-5 swap kit.
-Thanks

PS. Auto SUCKS!!!
Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

A good shift kit or valve body and a nice stall with some rear gears and you would be light years ahead of where you are now. and that auto will be much funner to drive
Old 04-21-2009, 06:30 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

You think you hate the auto.... Wait untill you spend all the money on the T-5 swap and rip the shifter a few to many times and you suddenly find yourself pulling it out because the damm thing doesn't want to shift in and out of gears without grinding it *** off. Put a shift kit in your auto like stated above, a small stall and some taller gears and you will think you bought another car and got rid of the old slow 5.0. Butt dyno FTMFW
Old 04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

imo switch to a 5speed but not a regular t5. i have an auto with a stall and a shift kit and this thing still sucks. its still going to rob your horsepower no matter what. 5speeds are way more fun anyways.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 PM
mudvayne1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
A good shift kit or valve body and a nice stall with some rear gears and you would be light years ahead of where you are now. and that auto will be much funner to drive
Not as much fun as a stick though right?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Hey man dont skimp out and get a used t-5, either get it rebuilt with high performance internals or get a TKO 600/500

It will probably end of costing you between 2000 and 3000. You may need to change your headers/mid pipe depending (i had to) and its a good deal of work!
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Get a full manual C4 with a 3000 stall converter and THEN tell me what you think about autos. Mine hits hard and I decide what gear I want to be in... NOT the tranny. Sure it robs a little power, but I can shift it faster than anyone with a stick, so it more than makes up for it. There's a reason most guys going fast are running autos.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

i want an auto in mine.i hate standards with a passion
Old 04-21-2009, 10:14 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by capri debris
Get a full manual C4 with a 3000 stall converter and THEN tell me what you think about autos. Mine hits hard and I decide what gear I want to be in... NOT the tranny. Sure it robs a little power, but I can shift it faster than anyone with a stick, so it more than makes up for it. There's a reason most guys going fast are running autos.
You don't have to tell me how hard it hits. I have a reverse full manual with a 3000 stall with a transbrake. I know how hard it hits. Not to mention we can choose what gear we want to be in like a standard. When I ratchet my shifter, my transmission shifts right now, not a half of second later, it's right now. no hesitation and steady acceleration. My car never noses over form the tree to the traps. As long as my foot is in it, it will hold you back in the seat. Me like to much. You all can take those 5 speeds and throw them in the garbage.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

eh sometimes its just more fun to row some gears! thats why i went from auto to manual

Quick Reply: Im sick of my auto tranny...