5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Accel vs MSD cap/rotor

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:38 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Default Accel vs MSD cap/rotor

i thought i read on here at one point that MSD caps werent any good. ive been running an Accel since early '06(i know, neglected, dont remind me). but does anyone have any opinions for/against an msd cap versus an accel?? the msd is like $10 more i think, but if its not gonna be any better, why spend the extra $10 when i can get something just as good for less. thanks.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Well unless your cap and rotor are pretty worn out, which is the case when cars have the stock cap/rotor, replacing a relatively new one(3 years) isn't going to net you any power gains. The MSD and Accel cap and rotors are practically the same, just a different name/color. I would just pull it off, check for signs of wear, and if it is considerable, after that short period of time, then maybe replace it. But I don't think you need to.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:13 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

i just solved an igniton problem Ive been having for a month and the last to week I couldn't even drive my car. It was due to insuffiecient spirng tensior on an ACCELL rotor, which wore out the dizzy button under cap. I installed a msd cap and rotor and problem solved. The accel one could of been a dud, but i would still get MSD cap, they have brass terminals instead of copper.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
Well unless your cap and rotor are pretty worn out, which is the case when cars have the stock cap/rotor, replacing a relatively new one(3 years) isn't going to net you any power gains. The MSD and Accel cap and rotors are practically the same, just a different name/color. I would just pull it off, check for signs of wear, and if it is considerable, after that short period of time, then maybe replace it. But I don't think you need to.
well, a couple months ago i had to replace the ignition module and when i pulled the cap off, there were carbon marks all over the cap, so figured id better replace it. im gonna do the plugs too, since i havent done those in about a year, maybe longer.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

the plugs are good for 60k as far as maintenance goes at the dealership.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

i know. im a mechanic by trade. but my car almost has 200k so i was changing plugs every other oil change or every 3rd oil change just to make sure im getting the best spark possible. haha. i run autolite 25's so im only spending like $10 on plugs each time. haha
Old 04-22-2009, 02:30 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

mallory/summit ignotion parts or go home
Old 04-22-2009, 02:31 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

ive always heard Mallory was decent but never really looked into them. guessing you have nothing but good experience with them?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:45 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

damn straight! lol. i run the coil and very happy from the switch from the stocker

i have a friend who went from all msd (box, dizzy, coil) to the mallory package (box dizzy coil) he said he's much happier with it and "wish i never wasted my money on the msd stuff". he's running procharged fox.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:03 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

hmm..sweet. now, i got on Summits website and checked out the mallory cap....didnt say anything about the rotor being included, is it? or do you get yours from a local parts place or something?

Quick Reply: Accel vs MSD cap/rotor