5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what will make more power cleveland or windser

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:53 AM
82bossblack

Default what will make more power cleveland or windser

i am building a 1988 notch and i have a turbo i want to know what engine i should use to make the most power... Cleveland or windser i have the cleveland and i no what it takes to put it in please help me out..
Old 04-23-2009, 01:27 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

stock for stock I believe the Cleveland had a little more horsepower, but if I were you I'd do a Windsor because the aftermarket for them is very plentiful. I want to say there is stuff for Cleveland motors, but I haven't looked into it in just how much there is in comparison.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Powdered Toast Man

Plenty of aftermarket parts for cleveland as well, you just need to know where to look, as in which country

Plenty of aftermarket gear over here in Oz as we used the cleveland instead of the windsor from the late 60's through to the early 80's in both 351 and 302 (de-stroked 351) guise. Maybe not as much as for the windsor though as the US is a much bigger market than Australia.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

There is plenty for both worlds. Cleavlands can be some nasty motors. I would still build a windsor but thats bc i know more about it and know where I can get parts. I might build a cleav one day.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Good Cleveland parts are expensive. You can build the same power out of a Windsor for a lot less money, up to a point anyway. Of course, if you already have the Cleveland, it might be cheaper to build off of that than go out and get Windsor stuff.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Windsor and wouldn't look back. The Windsors have the aftermarket almost as sewn up as the small block Chevy. Cleveland was the engine back in the day. A really powerful Cleveland in now the exception and not the rule. Look to spend about twice as much to get the same power and durability.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:39 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Good Cleveland parts are expensive. You can build the same power out of a Windsor for a lot less money, up to a point anyway. Of course, if you already have the Cleveland, it might be cheaper to build off of that than go out and get Windsor stuff.

eh not really, a cleveland and a windsor cast about the same and iirc dodgestang build makes more power than a W builod and cost a couple hundred bucks less.

plus a cleve will rev up quicker due to the main journal size

as powdered toast man said theres a ton of cleve parts out there even a good supply of blocks etc across the pond in austrialia www.ausforparts.com

i build a 10.2:1 compression cleve build in my old fastback moderate cam,roller rockers, intake carb and a c4 with a stall converter. the rear had 2.79:1 gears and it was open it would pull the front tires, this was with untouched 2v heads try that with a factory ford windsor head :P
Old 04-23-2009, 05:51 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by rmodel65
eh not really, a cleveland and a windsor cast about the same and iirc dodgestang build makes more power than a W builod and cost a couple hundred bucks less.

plus a cleve will rev up quicker due to the main journal size

as powdered toast man said theres a ton of cleve parts out there even a good supply of blocks etc across the pond in austrialia www.ausforparts.com

i build a 10.2:1 compression cleve build in my old fastback moderate cam,roller rockers, intake carb and a c4 with a stall converter. the rear had 2.79:1 gears and it was open it would pull the front tires, this was with untouched 2v heads try that with a factory ford windsor head :P
Come on.....not buyin it.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Comparing a stock C head to a stock W head is retarded. The stock C heads out perform any other stock Ford head, but in the end ALL the stock Ford heads suck. The GT40's are ok for a mild 302, but that's it. To get either engine to perform to a modern standard requires better heads on either of those engines, and C heads are way more expensive.

Back in the day when there was no aftermarket, C heads were the rage. Regardless of whatever faults they had, they still outperformed the stock W family heads. There's no way in hell that a stock C head will even come close in performance to a modern head design. It's the same thing as trying to compare a stock W head to a modern head design.

I really get tired of people hearing the name "Cleveland" and immediately they start looking for a pair of nuts to swing from. Back in the day they performed well FOR THEIR DAY, but not any more. All they really were was a crappy copy of a BBC head slapped on a SBF. They've gone down in history as a prime example of how NOT to design a cylinder head.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:38 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

^ but my car did wheelies with them back in the day, they must be awesome....

Quick Reply: what will make more power cleveland or windser