5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Uncertainty... Dissapointment...H/C/I..Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:21 PM
rush

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
did you stab the distributor correctly?
That's my first guess too since timing is way off, should be able to go 14* base timing with out any issues.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:19 AM
cch
3rd Gear Member

The battery was pulled throughout the whole build so the ecu should of been "reset".

Yeah the dizzy was stabbed correctly, no doubts about it.
Was just trying to reduce sparkplug pinging by lowering the timing.

The maf was supposed to be calibrated to the injectors but just incase I'm gonna swap it out for one of my buddies and try it.

Pretty sure we had the TPS set at .9 at idle but I'll recheck that.

Spark plugs are new but are just plain regular run of the day gt40p plugs, that make a difference?

I'm gonna buy an adjustable fuel regulator so I can play around with that... not sure what fuel pressure is at right now... I'll check..

Thanks for the help guys, please keep it comming!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:34 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cch
Well you all know I recently did an h/c/i swap. I got everything back in the car, and started it up today. Set the timing at 12* which I thought was a safe starting point and set out for a ride. Well the damn thing was detonating so bad it sounded like tap dancers. Anyhow, went for 4 more rides decreasing the timing each time (10-8-6-bout noting) and it finally stopped after the last try. But even from initial start-up to end it always smoked liked a bastard out the exhaust reaking of fuel. I'm assuming the computer just won't adjust to the new fuel system and it's flooding the engine making it run so rich all the time... is this right? I personally feel like 24lb injectors are needed to match with my other components but realize that my stock ecu is only meant to handle the 19's. If I get my buddy at Western Motorsports to burn me a baseline chip so my computer can handle the 24's and new fuel system would this fix my problem???

These are the modifications I made:
Main bearings
All new gaskets,
Timing chain,
Comp xe270hr cam,
Comp lifters & pushrods,
Ford Racing 1.6 rr's,
Tri-State ported gt40p heads,
Trickflow street upper/lower intake,
24 lb injectors with matching 73 mm mass air,
BBK 70mm throttle body and EGR spacer.
BBK CAI,
Meziere electric waterpump,
A/C and Smog delete,
Under drive pullies,
Ultrasport aluminum rad
Dual 12" Flexalite electric fans.

I pray that a Chip and timing will extensively increase performance 'cause right now it's a pig... definitely worse then stock...

Captain Morgan it is.... ******* fuel Injection.... Cheers!
Sorry to hear of your angst. If that set up ever gets right that will be a deadly combo on one of the nicest foxes on this site. Sorry I can't help with the build, I'm going to have mine done by professionals because if I did it I would surely get the same result as a stick of dynamite would LOL. Good luck, when she's finally right she'll be one bad motherfvcker...
Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

are you running 93 octane fuel?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:44 AM
cch
3rd Gear Member

Yes, But the fuel we have here is absolute **** so that could be an issue... Hot damn that gets me thinking. I'm running the same fuel that it was stored with over winter... could be bad! almost out anyhow I'll fill it up with supreme again and a li'l octance boost see if it helps.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Get out and get that thing filled up with new gas and see! Get some pics on here.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cch
Yes, But the fuel we have here is absolute **** so that could be an issue... Hot damn that gets me thinking. I'm running the same fuel that it was stored with over winter... could be bad! almost out anyhow I'll fill it up with supreme again and a li'l octance boost see if it helps.
That's just a really amazingly good looking angle of the car in that pic. When I finally get the know-how to upload pics of my notch, rest assured I'll be shooting to beat how good your car looks. She looks awesome...