5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My Cobra T5 fix.....Sorta?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default My Cobra T5 fix.....Sorta?

Ok well scene i got the T5 in the car ive had this odd issue where when i first start the car it wont go in any gear but reverse, Ive had to rock the car back and let it roll forward then it will slide into first, then no other issues after that.

Well the clutch has been adjusted 3 time's to try and fix it, ive thought up every issue, contacted promotion powertrain who built it and they said that it was a mis-installed throwout barring....

well just about 30min ago me and the gf go out to get some food, same issue, no gear other then reverse, so while im waiting for the car to warm up a little more, and im messing with it trying to get it to go into gear, i bap the throttle it sweep's just past 2krpm, and just so happen at the same time be messing with the shifter, and it went right into gear!

i pulled it back out of gear, and it went right into first, second, third, forth and fifth no issues, SMOOTH.

We go to leave subway, i back out of the spot i was in, go to put it into first and it wont go. It doe's this sometimes and i have to let the car roll forward a little, and it will slide in.

Well instead of that, i tap the brake, putting the car to a stop. rev the car past 2k rpm, and it slide's right into gear!

why would this solve the issue? i dont get it?

reminds me of "old school" transmission's ive heard about where you always had to rev-match them to get them to shift smooth.

would like to know what you guy's think about this.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

sounds like they ****ed up your tranny
Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
Ok well scene i got the T5 in the car ive had this odd issue where when i first start the car it wont go in any gear but reverse, Ive had to rock the car back and let it roll forward then it will slide into first, then no other issues after that.

Well the clutch has been adjusted 3 time's to try and fix it, ive thought up every issue, contacted promotion powertrain who built it and they said that it was a mis-installed throwout barring....

well just about 30min ago me and the gf go out to get some food, same issue, no gear other then reverse, so while im waiting for the car to warm up a little more, and im messing with it trying to get it to go into gear, i bap the throttle it sweep's just past 2krpm, and just so happen at the same time be messing with the shifter, and it went right into gear!

i pulled it back out of gear, and it went right into first, second, third, forth and fifth no issues, SMOOTH.

We go to leave subway, i back out of the spot i was in, go to put it into first and it wont go. It doe's this sometimes and i have to let the car roll forward a little, and it will slide in.

Well instead of that, i tap the brake, putting the car to a stop. rev the car past 2k rpm, and it slide's right into gear!

why would this solve the issue? i dont get it?

reminds me of "old school" transmission's ive heard about where you always had to rev-match them to get them to shift smooth.

would like to know what you guy's think about this.
do you have a stock quadrant? and just a firewall adjuster?
you can adjust the firewall all you want with a bad quad it slips and your clutch drags and you have this problem till it warms up or its able to slip.its that or you have a pos rebuild theres only 2 ways to install a throwout with the clip in the wrong or right spot. did you do the work yourself?make the builder fix the problem if its not your fault instaling it then its theirs.t5s are simple but if you leave out stuff on a rebuild you could have al sorts of problems. check the fluid level if its leaking and empty this will cause this too. and when u burn up the cobra get a 4banger t5 and diesel ranger pilot bearing you will thank me later
Old 04-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Chaoss84GT50
2nd Gear Member

not meaning to thread jack by why use the 4 banger t5? is there something different between those and the v8 t5? I was always under the assumption the 4cyl t5 wasnt meant to handle **** for power. Please correct me and inform me if I am wrong or have been misinformed.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chaoss84GT50
not meaning to thread jack by why use the 4 banger t5? is there something different between those and the v8 t5? I was always under the assumption the 4cyl t5 wasnt meant to handle **** for power. Please correct me and inform me if I am wrong or have been misinformed.
the 4banger t5 has better gear ratios there in lies the reason it handles less power plus its said to use crappier metal but even the the v8 t5 is underrated at 260ftlbs of torque and i think the 4 is rated at 237ftlbs neither are a good choice for a stock motor making 300ftlbs from the factory. the 4 banger t5 has a slightly smaller pilot shaft so the ranger pilot solves this. the input splines are the same so it can be used with a stock v8 clutch. switch the belhousings and its all good. drives like you just upgraded you rear gears! and the best part is there cheap and not abused like a v8 one. i mean a 89-113hp 2.3l isnt going to put the kinda wear a 225hp v8 will on a t5.i had a 93 cobra t5 i destroyed it . it wasnt any nicer than my original v8 t5 for the most part. the 4banger is a great bang for your buck
Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 AM
86HOGT
5th Gear Member

I'm sorry, but it just sounds like ticking time bomb with a shorter fuse than the V8 T-5. I've had my same T-5 since I've owned the car. It's been behind the stock engine and the stroker. It was rebuilt once, before I owned it, and that was 7 years ago at least. It depends on how you treat them. Besides, aren't you the guy who made that contraption with license plates?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:04 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you do not want a 4 popper tranny , btdt!! with 3.73 gears and the 4 cyl tranny it felt like a road race tranny and went nowhere quick....most likely those who love it often have no rear gears added into the equation so yes with a 4 cyl tranny and 2.73 or 3.08 gears then it may feel like you had something..lol
Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
you do not want a 4 popper tranny , btdt!! with 3.73 gears and the 4 cyl tranny it felt like a road race tranny and went nowhere quick....most likely those who love it often have no rear gears added into the equation so yes with a 4 cyl tranny and 2.73 or 3.08 gears then it may feel like you had something..lol
have you had a car with one???its very simple look at the specs and drive it.with stock rear gears, and who has 3.73s except aod cars? so why would it be a problem.so just admit it i....with stock gears like 2.73 a 4banger t5 will improve you gearing!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:09 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by 86GT 93LX
have you had a car with one???its very simple look at the specs and drive it.with stock rear gears, and who has 3.73s except aod cars? so why would it be a problem.so just admit it i....with stock gears like 2.73 a 4banger t5 will improve you gearing!
im pretty sure MJR has since in his statement he said "btdt" which = been there done that

anyone that puts them in their car? its actually a pretty common mod on these cars, expecially for a t5 stang since its the recommended gear ratio. generally AOD are recommended to have 410's

and thats exactly what he said the first time. you just said the same thing a different way.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:12 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 86GT 93LX
Did you not read my post Brett?? BTDT= BEEN THERE DONE THAT.....my 92 was a 4cyl conversion ...not sure what you mean by "who has 3.73 except aod cars"??? stock FACTORY never offered higher than 3.27 gears in the run of the mill 5.0 and those were aod equipped ones often.....read the last sentence in my original post and compare it to what your last sentence states.....understand now??