5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

How long have gt-40 heads been around?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:29 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

if they are off of a mk1 gt40 they would be worth a lot more than 2 or 3 hundred

we are talking about a car worth over a million dollars
Old 05-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

There's GT40, the car.......

And there's' GT40 the SBF cylinder heads......

Which are not related......
Old 05-13-2009, 07:29 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

no **** smart ***

maybe he wanted the heads and was friends with him too much to hurt his feelings and rip him off

It would be like me selling the heads off my car. I would call them 93 mustang heads to someone that has no idea what they are. I wouldn't make him feel stupid by showing how much smarter I am them him.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 05-13-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

i am so ***ing confused.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:16 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Quite some years ago, like 30-40years ago, Ford casted a 289 head that had gargantuan ports and a small combustion chamber. My friend who is in his very late 50's had a set one time. Took them all over town, to all the machine shops and every gear heads house to show them off. There was this other older man in my town that was running 9.0's in a 79 hatch that took pictures of these heads and sent them into Ford and asked them what the deal was and where they came from. The heads had Ford casted into them, so they were Ford heads and not aftermarket. The reply Mr.Joe got from Ford was some story of a limited production of some kind of Cobra Jet 289 engine or some crap like that. The Ford reps said the heads are basically invaluable because one person has the heads and the other person that might have the valve train, is thousands of miles away. I never got to see the heads personally, just hear say when I hear the old timers at the machine shop speak about them. Alot of guys would like to have them now, they said they would build an adjustable valve train for them. This was 15yrs ago when I was told about the heads that circulated through my small town, so it probably happened 20yrs ago that my friend Lyle had these said heads. If anyone has an idea of what I'm talking about, I'd sure like to know more on the heads, proper name and such, port size/volume. Thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 08:21 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Originally Posted by racin66coupe
i am so ***ing confused.
he didn't know what the heads were when he sold them. He obviously didn't buy the heads because the buyer was an engine builder and owned a shop. (he could have bought any aftermarket head cheap) When the buyer took his heads in to trade the guy, the engine builder already had a set or knew what they were. He didn't tell him until years later because the guy never asked until his brother-in-law tried to buy them and he asked so much for them. When the buyer got off alone with the engine builder he must of told him they were gt-40 heads.

He may have not even told him they were gt40 heads.lol I have learned that people remember things different over time.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 05-13-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Quite some years ago, like 30-40years ago, Ford casted a 289 head that had gargantuan ports and a small combustion chamber. My friend who is in his very late 50's had a set one time. Took them all over town, to all the machine shops and every gear heads house to show them off. There was this other older man in my town that was running 9.0's in a 79 hatch that took pictures of these heads and sent them into Ford and asked them what the deal was and where they came from. The heads had Ford casted into them, so they were Ford heads and not aftermarket. The reply Mr.Joe got from Ford was some story of a limited production of some kind of Cobra Jet 289 engine or some crap like that. The Ford reps said the heads are basically invaluable because one person has the heads and the other person that might have the valve train, is thousands of miles away. I never got to see the heads personally, just hear say when I hear the old timers at the machine shop speak about them. Alot of guys would like to have them now, they said they would build an adjustable valve train for them. This was 15yrs ago when I was told about the heads that circulated through my small town, so it probably happened 20yrs ago that my friend Lyle had these said heads. If anyone has an idea of what I'm talking about, I'd sure like to know more on the heads, proper name and such, port size/volume. Thanks

I wouldn't doubt for a second that we are talking about the same heads
Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

sounds like a unicorn to me...

I suggest this thread gets a big ol' LOCK
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I wish somebody would have had the ***** to do it earlier and put us all out of our misery

adder you need to quit sleeping

Sorry for not posting pics but, the guy that has that disease where people forget things.
I don't even think he is in business anymore. sad huh?

Last edited by TrimDrip; 05-13-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
sounds like a unicorn to me...

I suggest this thread gets a big ol' LOCK
I have no reason to lie to you Adder.

As for the original post and what heads he is referring to, I have no idea.

But what I can do, is go to Mr. Joe Glorioso's house when I get home from work and see if he still has the reply letter from Ford and try to get a copy/scan of it and or the pictures that he took. Like I said, I never saw the heads, but prominent members of my town saw them and had no reason to lie to me about them. I was quite upset once I learned of them and didn't get the opportunity to build them for myself.

Quick Reply: How long have gt-40 heads been around?