5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what cam would yall suggest

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
well, sounds like you pretty much know what you want in there... so why bother posting

and I dont give a rats *** how well your E7's flow... they are still pieces of ****, and you are retarded for putting the money into them.

the ONLY time that E7's should be used on a mustang, is in a factory stock class
Are you lonly today ADDER???? no one to share memorial day with??? WHY ALL the hostility???
Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by racelikustolit3k
These heads have been worked like hell. They flow a tad more than my AFR's, this is not going to be a prostock motor by any means. I just hate the sound of a stock cam. I know what cam I am wanting to run, I just want the opinion of some other guys.... P.S. my wife stayed in the pedal the whole my lx was in the back bumper, hell of a show then got out and took a bow. She doesn't have to chill.......

race
The first thing you need to do is put the BS in reverse.

If you want to want to go to the baddest cam for the least amount of cash go to an old school flat tappet mechanical cam and lifters.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:42 PM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

You can't ask cam questions here. The only answer is custom grind.

You can't run stock ported heads here. The only answer is aftermarket aluminum.

Asking for anything low budget is out of the question.

(This is based on my observations, not my beliefs.)
Old 05-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NotchAbove

Thats because it's the easy answer and requires no knowledge or thought. They are afraid of making a choice as someone may call them on it and show them up with a better choice.This cames from people who are running crap on their own cars. It's amazing that some of these guys have 1500 dollar heads, Custom Cam, Custom ported intake, etc etc etc and won't even spring on a decent ignition.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:07 PM
93stallion302
3rd Gear Member

I beg to differ with a custom grind. Considering every1 runs an imitation of another setup a custom grind cam is a waste of money in most cases. There are so many OTS cams in production that you would be hard pressed not to find one for your application. Some people prefer it, just because they like to say their setup is diff when in reality all they did was pay 100 bucks more for a grind that already exist.

Some applications merit it, but no bolt on application merits a custom grind.

As far as heads go.
Stock ported heads are really garbage to run, they will cost more than GT40s and GT40s will outflow them with ver little work. The reason any1 says Aluminum is because that is the best option to go with. I run GT40p's but if some one asks me what is the best head to go with, never will I say GT40p's. I will tell them AFR/TF/Edel/etc...

Speaking from experience even on a budget, aluminums are a better choice, becuase you will spend nearly as much on GT40's(machine work, springs,rockers,porting etc...) than a used set of Aluminims.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

I think the point that NotchAbove was saying was that many people on this forum have generic answers. Sometimes people have to work with what they have ant not what would be best.

As far as Custom Cams go they are only custom when tailored the exact set-up they were ground for. I have a Custom ground Crane in my car but I'm confident enough that if I swaped my setup (Gears, tranny, etc) that I could pull an OTS grind that would out perform The current cam.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:51 PM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 93stallion302
I beg to differ with a custom grind. Considering every1 runs an imitation of another setup a custom grind cam is a waste of money in most cases. There are so many OTS cams in production that you would be hard pressed not to find one for your application. Some people prefer it, just because they like to say their setup is diff when in reality all they did was pay 100 bucks more for a grind that already exist.

Some applications merit it, but no bolt on application merits a custom grind.

As far as heads go.
Stock ported heads are really garbage to run, they will cost more than GT40s and GT40s will outflow them with ver little work. The reason any1 says Aluminum is because that is the best option to go with. I run GT40p's but if some one asks me what is the best head to go with, never will I say GT40p's. I will tell them AFR/TF/Edel/etc...

Speaking from experience even on a budget, aluminums are a better choice, becuase you will spend nearly as much on GT40's(machine work, springs,rockers,porting etc...) than a used set of Aluminims.
Its fine to disagree with me, but what I am getting at is just like Portmaster said.

So, since you replied, why not offer this guy an OTS cam that will work for him.

And you do know that stock ported, can and will, and do outflow GT40's, even the older GT40 aluminums. Yeah there is always a better choice, but people have reasons for doing what they do, and are just looking for some input.

I'd love to ask about a cam or tell people my plans but it will just get the same response, so I will just make my own decisions.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 PM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
I think the point that NotchAbove was saying was that many people on this forum have generic answers. Sometimes people have to work with what they have ant not what would be best.

As far as Custom Cams go they are only custom when tailored the exact set-up they were ground for. I have a Custom ground Crane in my car but I'm confident enough that if I swaped my setup (Gears, tranny, etc) that I could pull an OTS grind that would out perform The current cam.
Exactly my man, exactly.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:08 PM
93stallion302
3rd Gear Member

Its fine to disagree with me, but what I am getting at is just like Portmaster said.

So, since you replied, why not offer this guy an OTS cam that will work for him.

And you do know that stock ported, can and will, and do outflow GT40's, even the older GT40 aluminums. Yeah there is always a better choice, but people have reasons for doing what they do, and are just looking for some input.

I'd love to ask about a cam or tell people my plans but it will just get the same response, so I will just make my own decisions.
I would love to offer him a OTS cam, but i dont know much about flat tappet cams, as I said in a previous post
Old 05-26-2009, 03:24 AM
racelikustolit3k

Man adder your a keyboard bumpin bitch..... here's the deal this is just a play car that I can take to the midnights at the local track and beat on in between big races. If I wanted to dump cash or time into the motor, I would just run the either set of 185 or 225 AFR heads I have just chillin.. I have a bone stock motor if I put the heads, TFS roller cam, harland rockers, holley intake and carb, my full MSD ing., and a good stall converter like my TCI, hell why im at it lets do a DSS 331 or 347 stroker... It will put this car in the 11's then I will have to cage it along with the other laundry list of *(&$ you have to do when you reach that point. **** on it I will just build another TT rig back it with lenko 4 speed throw it in a a good tube chassis roller and go from there.... a simple question really brings out dip****s here so keep typin KEYBOARD WARRIORS IM GOING BACK TO RACINGJUNK !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: what cam would yall suggest