5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

I need turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 PM
rhino15

Default I need turbo help

Im new to the forum here i was refered by a friend and was told you guys would maybe be able to give me some pointers on my motor build.

Heres the story I have a competion tube chassis rock crawler it has a 5.0l 302 bored over to a 306 roller motor built with low compression and already tapped oil pan for oil return lines this motor only has about 15 miles on it and the mustang it was in set on fire cause of a lousy fuel connection I have gt40p heads intake throttle body and injectors off an explorer I am going to be in a hill climbing competion similar to the pikes peak in august and it is a very important event to me cause it is a qualifier for an awesome desert race in california. they will pick the top 5 times in the hill climb for the king of the hammers in johnson valley california.

So ive been looking at my competion and some of these guys are running between 4 and 500 horespower. so i guess i need to step it up. I can build custom headers out of Js that will come straight up into the engine compartment and i have enough room to mount two turbos one off each bank no intercooler and preetymuch straight in maybe 18inches of ducting to the tbody and maybe 12 to the spot where they will y into eachother. so anyway thats the start off my problems. heres the next part. I have very little experience with turbos and flow rates and what knot. so heres my questions.

1 which turbos will work best that i could get out of a junk yard on a low budget and will be easilie adaptable to my aplication.

2 how much boost will i need to be at 4-500 horses

3 Is my motor capable of holding up to this much power for about 5 10 min runs in high revs?

4 Am i crazy to be asking this much from my aplication?

5 do i have to run a mass air flow for this app or can i run a speed dens only?

Please school me on this boys i need to get somthin figured out.

Respectfully yours,

Ryan

Last edited by rhino15; 06-12-2009 at 12:24 AM.