5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

How much power: now and with my intended mods?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Mustang_Matt101

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
the stock injectors are too small for a n/a h/c/i combo, there is no way they can handle boost. you will need a way to tune it. timing will need to be pulled and fuel will need to be added. under boost you need to run a richer afr then you do when no in boost. if your asking questions like this, i would avoid boost for a while, start with building the motor, gears and suspension and then think about boost
i thought that tuning would be needed. i have some experice with it, i turbocarged my last car (240sx) but lost the motor after about a year due to too much timeing underboost. so point taken, i defantly have some homework to do.

The reason i asked if the fuel system was up to it is because i had a local person tell me the car car handel 5-6 psi on the stock fuel system with the base timeing retarded.

I don;t know if this should be a new thread, but i have a burn2 chip programer... do you know if i can put a eprom socket in the stock ecu and burn eproms with this programmer. i guess the better question would be what eprom does the stock ecu run? i'll just look this up, must have been discussed 1000 times before. i have heard that its painful to adjust the maps in ford computers? i would like to know if thats true before i go deep into research.

One more thing, are the piggy back systems available that can adjust timing? when i was exploeing this with the 240sx there was not, just things like apexi safc I or II for screwing with the maf signal to adjust fuel. i did see an add for PMS in a magaizeen and i think that said it was able to adjust timeing. I don;t know if they make anything for the 5.0 though?

sorry for the noob questions, i should be looking this **** up lol.... which i will if you don;t wanna hand me over the asnweres nice and easy.Are there any popular mustang tuning websites i should be aware of?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i use the pms for my tuning my car. its a nice unit because it is a piggy back when just crusing around but at certain throttle % and rpms (set by you) it is a stand alone system as well. stand alone fuel and stand alone timing can come on at different times. makes tuning easy.

no the stock fuel system sucks, upgrade before boost. the only way the stock fuel system can support boost is with an fmu and a bone stock motor. as soon as you have any motor upgrades and boost, the fuel pump wont be able to keep up