MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   Help me pick some wheels & tires. (back spacing ?) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/549511-help-me-pick-some-wheels-and-tires-back-spacing.html)

302army187 07-10-2009 04:39 AM

Help me pick some wheels & tires. (back spacing ?)

Well the '85 4-banger i bought to DD doesnt look like it's going to work out. I've thrown about $200 at it to get it running right to pass emmission's, and it STILL wont pass.

I know I can sell it for $800 in a heart beat, and its possible to get $1,000 for it, if i get lucky.

Im going to buy 2 more Weld Draglite rim's to run street tire's on. My problem is i dont know much about back spacing and such.

the one's im looking at are as follow's.
15 in. x 8 in.
4 x 4.25/4.5 in. Bolt Circle
5.5 in. Backspace

Link to the rim.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLD-90-58040/

These will work right? or is 5.5 to much back spacing? How big of a street tire can i go? im thinking 255/50/15 or 255/60/15 depending on the tire i can find. A 28" tall tire would be prefured. (or 235's dont need anything as wide as 275's for daily driving)

Also what's a good STREET tire to run?

Does NOT need to "hook" great for "racing" but i would like VERY VERY VERY good wet traction. Sick and tired of sliding around in the rain with these micky thompsons. I cant drive this thing right now in a light rain without the rear end moving around even when already up to speed and not in the throttle.

any help would be great.

thanks.

projectresto83 07-10-2009 11:15 AM

With a 5.5 backspacing the wheel will sit about even with the inside of the quarter panel. You will be fine there. A 28 inch tall tire is pretty big man. Its nice for a drag tire but I wouldn't run it on the street. How much have you dropped your car? The 275/60's on my 93 are 28 inches tall and they look massive. I would run 245/50 but I can't find any decent priced tires for 15's in that size. Just some dunlops on summit that are over $200 a piece.I think I am gonna get a set of 235/60s for everyday driving. That is slightly over 26" tall.
http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...snegerRear.jpg
Thats my 275/60/15. It belongs on a truck lol.

302army187 07-10-2009 06:14 PM

i want 28" because of the 4.10 gears. help a little with the RPM's

BFgoodrich's radial T/A's make both a 255 tire and 235 tire that are 28"

good to know about the back spacing........

100+ view's and only one reply?

weak.

nitrous_bob 07-10-2009 06:30 PM

w/ a 26" tall tire 10.5" is widest

i kinda think w/ 28's you might be limited even more

all street tires suck, so imo get the cheapest ones w/ the best warranty and call it a day

302army187 07-10-2009 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob (Post 6338912)
w/ a 26" tall tire 10.5" is widest

i kinda think w/ 28's you might be limited even more

all street tires suck, so imo get the cheapest ones w/ the best warranty and call it a day

good point's. haha.

projectresto83 07-11-2009 12:30 AM

Especially with 15's. The good street tires are usually in the 16's and up now a days.
A 235/70 is gonna give you a huge sidewall and cause less stability in the rear. I would just stick with the height of the tire you have with that drag radial to tell you the truth.

302army187 07-11-2009 02:20 AM

yea sound's good. I was just thinking taller would be better for a little lower RPM's on the highway.

If your saying 28" street tire's wont fit, then what about the 275/60/15 mickey's im gonna buy once the control arms are on?? I thought those fit fine??

nitrous_bob 07-11-2009 07:34 AM

a 275/50/15 rubbed like hell for me, even normal driving in the turns, but i have eibach springs on my car , and it was the width... but they really chewed up the sidewalls

maybe find a "used" tire of that size you want and try it out ?

i agree for street driving a 28" tall would help a lot

if you went 28 tall and 9.5" wide ??? that might work

not too sure though... and BTW.. the cars looking good.. you still spraying it ?

"still slow" ? c'mon.. really ? throw me a time ?? my 'vert was about 4000 lbs w/ 1/2 tank and me in it and i'm only 150 , but you gotta be close to mid/hi-12's or there already.

302army187 07-11-2009 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob (Post 6339730)
a 275/50/15 rubbed like hell for me, even normal driving in the turns, but i have eibach springs on my car , and it was the width... but they really chewed up the sidewalls

maybe find a "used" tire of that size you want and try it out ?

i agree for street driving a 28" tall would help a lot

if you went 28 tall and 9.5" wide ??? that might work

not too sure though... and BTW.. the cars looking good.. you still spraying it ?

"still slow" ? c'mon.. really ? throw me a time ?? my 'vert was about 4000 lbs w/ 1/2 tank and me in it and i'm only 150 , but you gotta be close to mid/hi-12's or there already.

Damn it, i hope it wont rub, i have all stock suspension, and adding the upper and lower control arms and strange 10 way adjustables...... so hopefully they will fit or ill flip out and have to run the shocks stiff so they dont rub, or something haha.

for street tire's i dont really care if they are wide or not, it would just help so when i do get on the loud pedal im not sliding around all over the damn place.

Thank's for the compliment, never really gave the car a good wash and took picture's on the same day, so its always looked like crap in the picture's ive posted in the past haha.

Well i havent sprayed it sence i toasted the AOD. if you remember you helped me when i first started spraying. took 2 second's off my ET with a 50shot. a lot of that has to deal with the fact that im at 5880ft above sea level. DA at the track on a GOOD day is 7200-7500.

Now that the T5 is good and broken in ive been meaning to use the bottle again. but first my nitrous silinoid was leaking, got a new one, had to get new fittings, then found out my purge silinoid was leaking too. so now i have a good nitrous and fuel noid, but no purge, which i dont like. And the bottle warmer is ****ed, becuase the fitting for the wiring right by the heat pad melted for some odd reson, so i gotta fix that....... haha.

My 'vert is 3500 with me in it, im 250lb. thats with about a 1/4 tank of gas or just under.

haha, well i dont wanna disclose what it run's up here, but the DA correction to sea level put's me at low 13's all motor.

ive smoked some LS1 T/A's, a new R/T challenger, WRX's and such of that caliber. so its pretty quick for what it is.

im just itching like a crack addict to use the bottle again :)
just kinda scared from all BS that happened last year..... so im going to get the little things fixed, and make sure i have another vehicle to drive haha.

the '85 i bought was sapposed to replace the 5.0 for daily driver duty, so i wouldent be scared to use the nitrous again incase something bad happens again. But now its not going to work out, as it wont pass emissions, and my truck that i have for when it snow's has 170,000 miles so i dont really trust it.........

lol, as you can see, its alot of BS right now.

nitrous_bob 07-11-2009 07:57 AM

trust me bro... i've been there all too often

i expected this notch to be in the 11's LAST summer, but guess what.. still on a broken trans, and my heads and intake are still on the shelf waiting for the last 2 years :(

effin economy, and wife that doesn't like money going on the car... blah blah blah... story of my life