5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

kind of stuck between these 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:08 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I did watch that srt run a 7.47 one night. Nos is what killed it.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 PM
60trimGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
I did watch that srt run a 7.47 one night. Nos is what killed it.
nawsss ftl. but seriously those cars are no joke
Old 07-19-2009, 10:34 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Torque steer ftl
Old 07-19-2009, 11:01 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicBlueFiveSlow
Torque steer ftl
Have you experienced this personally?

I mean there may be some torque steer to you if you have NEVER driven a front wheel drive car but I think Dodge did a great job of controlling the torque steer.

A V6 Probe which is half the car has twice the amount of torque steer.

And the "it's still a Neon" is the most stupid thing I've read here. Yes it is and that is why they are what they are. Affordable and available.

Guess what, our beloved LX coupes are just a 79 Mustang, duh.

60trim. You need to pull in those other factors and decide what you want to spend. Including insurance coverage, which will be alot more if you have to finance the Dodge.

Some more things to consider. The 95 is a very undesireable year for Mustangs, making it a bargain for a shopper. If you can spring a couple more bucks for a newer one, you can get a 4.6L Modular motor Mustang.
Personally I like the SRT4's. They may not be all that directly compared to a Mustang. Like et vs $$$ or cost to mod this vs that but in the world of tuners or front wheel drive, I think they are the undisputed KING. You will pay more for the SRT4, simply because it's much newer.

Lastly, if you do decide on an SRT4, don't do it for the mileage. The 2.4 is a relatively big 4 cylinder, they spray ALOT of fuel when under boost and they will not get the big MPG numbers like a 2.0L, 5 speed Neon.

Last edited by Jfsram; 07-19-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:22 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I will never ever ever get that ghey marketing campaign out of my mind anytime somebody mentions a neon.

NEON HI!

I really can't believe the question is asked. neon vs 5.0? How far can you really take the neons motor? I mean if you dump 10k into it, what will you have? A really fast car that you have almost maxed the motor out with(and $25k into it). Now put 10K into a 5.0 and some suspension work and you have a really fast car and still have room to grow with only $14k into it.. Do the math.....
Old 07-19-2009, 11:29 PM
donsmoke

guys I hate to say it but the SRT4 is a fuc**** monster. I have seen SRT4s walk all over pretty heavily modded 03-04 cobras when modded right but then again its always from a roll so take it for what its worth.
Now dont get me wrong I LOVE my mustang and I would NEVER buy a SRT4 but lets step up and give credit where credit is due thay arent just some riced out honda. Anyways for the money you would spend on that SRT4 you could very easily do a light HCI and a turbo kit and fly and as long as you do your research and build it right you would still get pretty good MPG when your just driving around town and are not in boost and i would say that would put in into the 12s just on DRs. Also like someone else mentioned the insurance on the SRT4 is going to be more pb alot more one because of what it is and two because its going to be financed to me the extra money you would be spending every month in insurance plus the payments would well out weigh the few extra MPG you would get out of it
Old 07-19-2009, 11:30 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I really didn't feel like reading the entire thread... But if you want a fast car.. you could always buy my cobra. $12k will get you an 11 second car. possibly 10's if you put the boots to it and add a 75 shot!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Witzy
1st Gear Member

In my opinion if you're one of those guy who wares the white rimmed sunglasses with his hat turned sideways and spends too much time at the local mall the SRT-4 is the car for you!

Regardless, I feel that the mustang is the better choice in multiple factors previously stated.

But please, do not get a automatic! You will be disappointed.

I feel the main factor being this. The 95 mustang really won't exceed the price of 6k for stock in good overall condition, that being that a SRT-4 from what I've seen is at least 12k. You said you have 5k already. Ok now that you have no car payments take that money in theory and make payments on parts. Or some kind of budget. By the time you spend the difference between 5k to 12k not only will you have a fast mustang, but a lot more room to work with than the Neon. I also have driven in a slightly modded SRT-4 and while it was fast I was not impressed with the top end. And nothing throws your *** back like a beefy V-8. With that being said I think a good looking mustang surpasses a good looking Neon any day as well and sure as hell sounds meaner.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:06 AM
60trimGT
2nd Gear Member

more possible candidates
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
and found this mach 1 with 90k miles. is the 4.6 as reliable as the 5.0? or is 90k too much for a 4.6?

Edit: 331 stroker 94 gt http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
talked to the owner he said he would take 5k for this one
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/1268347508.html

Last edited by 60trimGT; 07-20-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:32 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

03 Mach 1s had a problem with rearends I believe. Seems like we had a few come back when I was selling cars in 03.

I like the first one, minus the wheels.

Quick Reply: kind of stuck between these 2