5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Trans/Rear Axle Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 AM
countrystang

Default Trans/Rear Axle Fluids

Hello All!

I have an 87 Mustang GT 5.0 with the T-5 manual. I have owned the car since I bought it new in 87. It's only driven in summer, so the car is in excellent shape.

The transmission and rear axle (8.8") fluids have never been changed. The car has almost 100K miles on it.

Rather than refill the tranny and rear axle with the standard factory-recommended fluids, are there any improved fluids available for each unit?

Since they only use a small amount of fluid, a higher-cost but better fluid would be ok.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Old 07-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.

Most people use either Royal Purple or Lucas gear oil. Both have friction modifier included in their formulas. Both are better than generic gear oil.

I use Lucas in both of my cars.

One thing I've noticed, on aftermarket differential covers, is that the Lucas 80w-90 leaks a very, very small amount out of the threads on the differential fill plug when hot.

No worries if you have the stock differential cover, though.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:02 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by countrystang
Hello All!

I have an 87 Mustang GT 5.0 with the T-5 manual. I have owned the car since I bought it new in 87. It's only driven in summer, so the car is in excellent shape.

The transmission and rear axle (8.8") fluids have never been changed. The car has almost 100K miles on it.

Rather than refill the tranny and rear axle with the standard factory-recommended fluids, are there any improved fluids available for each unit?

Since they only use a small amount of fluid, a higher-cost but better fluid would be ok.

Thanks in advance
Steve
There is no need to run a more expensive fluid. It isnt going to gain you anything. Just use a regular 75w-90 or 80w-90 in the rear, with some friction modifier

As far as the transmission goes. use a Mercon based ATF
Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 AM
87GT Drop Top
1st Gear Member

Royal purple ATF in the transmission. Yes the manual transmission takes automatic transmission fluid. The rear end I would use Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil.

Last edited by 87GT Drop Top; 07-30-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:45 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

I would run a nice synthetic gear oil, but it's not necessary for the occasional trip.

What is important is the correct weight, and having a friction modifier for certain limited slip differentials.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:33 AM
countrystang

Originally Posted by 87GT Drop Top
Royal purple ATF in the transmission. Yes the manual transmission takes automatic transmission fluid. The rear end I would use Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil.
Do you recommend the Royal Purple Synchromax or their ATF. The Royal Purple web site says the Synchromax is made for manual transmissions that use ATF.

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 PM
87GT Drop Top
1st Gear Member

I used the regular ATF in my car. I would have to do some research before I could answer that. I would call thier 800# and ask what the bennifit would be to use one over the other.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:33 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by countrystang
Do you recommend the Royal Purple Synchromax or their ATF. The Royal Purple web site says the Synchromax is made for manual transmissions that use ATF.

Thanks
Steve
there is no benefit to running royal purple synchromax...

honestly, i wont run royal purple ANYTHING in my car.. that stuff is plain garbage
Old 07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

But they advertise it on the Powerblock on Spike TV so it must be good right?!?!? I mean come on, they only use the best of the best!

/sarcasm
Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 AM
87GT Drop Top
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
there is no benefit to running royal purple synchromax...

honestly, i wont run royal purple ANYTHING in my car.. that stuff is plain garbage
What makes you say that?

Quick Reply: Trans/Rear Axle Fluids