5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

The WORST night of my life

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yours has been swaps to disk in the rear?? If not they are drums.. Sucks to hear man. It shouldn't take much really to fix your car. If you put the 7.5 in your car you will have to take your brake lines off of the 8.8 and swap them over. It will work though.

You should get under it and inspect more though to make sure nothing else is screwed.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

You need to take some beginner car control classes. That's what I've done with my dad and I have never had a problem in even heavy rain and very light ice.If you noticed the car fishtailing you should've let off the gas and tried to countersteer while giving little blips of throttle. Then when the car gets relatively straight let off completely and regain your composure.

But maybe that only works for some. It's what I do whenever I notice the car getting out of hand in the rain. Has saved my *** multiple times. Car usually whips right back into line. And i'm 18 and I would never drink while driving the 'stang. Welcome to a car with torque. Stay sober if you plan to drive it.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Fox23
2nd Gear Member

Dj Seph i know how to drive a car lol. I know i was supposed to let off the gas but in this case i obviously paniced and hit the gas and tried to out steer the car. I wasnt drunk. I had a drink or 2. No where close to having my judgement impaired but yes i know drinking and driving is stupid.

project i havnt swaped to disc it has the orignal 8.8 rear end and i just picked up my buddys 7.5 this morning. Im hoping that my control arms are okay and can be bolted onto the new 7.5. How do i go about checking if the control arms are okay? if thier bent and dont bolt on im guessing?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187

shouldent have been drinking and driving at 18year's old.
well thats legal in canada

sux to hear tho.. lets see some pix!

and why the hell are you swapping to a 7.5 rear? down grade much?
Old 08-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Bravo

Sorry to hear about your accident Glad you're ok though...

That's a lot of power for a young person in the rain. One of the benefits to living in Maine is that we learn to drive in very poor conditions. We can take junk cars out to parking lots with 2-3 inches of snow and practice maneuvers at 30-40mph. It takes a lot of practice to get to the point where when it really happens, instinct takes over. If you have to think too much when your back end goes, you might find yourself in a world of hurt.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:09 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox23
alright my buddy just replaced his rear end and still has his 7.5, Would that rear end work in mine? Iv got a 1988 Lx 5 speed. If so what else would i need? control arms?

yeah it was pretty bad. When i tried to steer the opposite way my fish tail just grew even bigger and my car turned into something iv never seen it do.. it just threw it self 180*.. When i went over the island in the middle of the road i started to panic so i tried to throw it in reverse but the car wasnt moving, so i tried to go forward in 1st and same thing. So i jumped out and ran around the car to discover my tire totally off and my car resting ontop of the smashed rim.

Thats right about where my heart sank.

I went into the garage today to look at my poor car quickly and iv got fluid dripping from the rotor area. And i say rotor area because there used to be one there lol.
yes it will work. are there any local u pull it junkyards around your area?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 AM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fox23
Dj Seph i know how to drive a car lol. I know i was supposed to let off the gas but in this case i obviously paniced and hit the gas and tried to out steer the car. I wasnt drunk. I had a drink or 2. No where close to having my judgement impaired but yes i know drinking and driving is stupid.

project i havnt swaped to disc it has the orignal 8.8 rear end and i just picked up my buddys 7.5 this morning. Im hoping that my control arms are okay and can be bolted onto the new 7.5. How do i go about checking if the control arms are okay? if thier bent and dont bolt on im guessing?
its normal at your age to panic or for any new driver to panic when the car does that. dont be hard on yourself. you just learned how a stock 5.0 can get squirrely. i avoid driving mine in the rain after totalling my first stang in the rain. it was a long time ago and im alot more familair whith the limits of this car but i still try not to drive it in the rain and i always go around corners like a old lady, at least i dont do more than the signs say thru bends.
youre going to end up learning how to work on the car more and fix it hopefully and appreciate it alot more once you do.gets some pics up of the damage.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:48 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Why don't you just swap the axle shaft out? Take an axle shaft out of your buddies 7.5 and pop it in yours.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I almost said the same thing. You will need to inspect your axle housing as well to make sure its not cracked. Could have been bent though. If you do just replace the axle from your buddies be sure to replace the seal and bearings as well.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:17 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

if the axle broke off, the rear subframe is bent.. along with more damaged parts.

sounds like speed was a factor...

no question about it.

been there, done that.

bought a new car.

live and learn my friend.

Quick Reply: The WORST night of my life