5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

The WORST night of my life

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:56 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

buy a whole new rear end. have car straightened back out. sounds like it will be the cheaper solution
Old 08-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Fox23
2nd Gear Member

yeah i was thinking about swaping the axel out of the 7.5 into my 8.8 so i dont have to use that junk rear end but i dont know what shape the housing is in. Im gonna go take pictures right now and post em for you guys. Hopefully ill beable to get some good pics so you can tell me whats really damaged. 93 Lx i really hope your wrong on this one lol. if my subframe is bent that would be horrible ..

And thanks everyone. I know im a new driver and yeah i obviously paniced. Iv had my car fish tail before but never past 90* and im pretty sure i hit the gas as my cun spun so fast and thats probably why i flew abother 180* over the middle island.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Fox23
2nd Gear Member

Yeah i do have a local pull it ur self scrap yard and here is the link to the album with 6 pictures of the car. Let me know what you guys think i should do!

http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/ss65/Fox23Lx/
Old 08-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

think rains scary, try driving in kansas when it snows and ices over and your only transportation at the time is teh 5.0 with bald street tires... and nobody else in this state seems to know what or how to drive in the snow... now thats a nightmare my friend.

Like i said in previous post though, be sure nothing else is screwed... like your sub frame!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Lazor05
2nd Gear Member

That stinks man. If your patient im sure you can find an 8.8 rear. I just picked one up for $115 off craigslist. Good that your ok even if the car isnt.

Originally Posted by Hollister Hoodlum
think rains scary, try driving in kansas when it snows and ices over and your only transportation at the time is teh 5.0 with bald street tires... and nobody else in this state seems to know what or how to drive in the snow... now thats a nightmare my friend.
Im on the Missouri side of KC and the ice gets pretty bad here. I hate leaving school when the roads are bad. 200 new drivers who's parents have too much money. If I get in an accident my parents sell the car . And you must be terrified to drive in bad weather with your new paint.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:10 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

it appears your control arm is intact. take more picture's of this area, under the car of course, and where the control arm attaches to the rear end on both sides of the car.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Bravo

Originally Posted by Hollister Hoodlum

Like i said in previous post though, be sure nothing else is screwed... like your sub frame!
Try Maine, where it takes at least 8 inches of snow on the road to shut things down.

Then again, anyone in their right mind wouldn't be driving a 5 liter pony during the winter months up here...
Old 08-09-2009, 08:22 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

I remember this year in Maryland my mother was driving my 01 GT to work and I have Nitto555 Not even the R tires eithier just 555 275/35/18 on all four corners and It would not even budge out of the drive way. Eithier way man sorry to hear about it hope you get it fixed quick!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Fox23
2nd Gear Member

Okay guys so i jacked up the car. It took me a while just to get the back end up on stands because one side was resting on rim as you can see and i had no idea where to jack up the car on.. So i put a jack stand on each one of those control arms thats circled in the above picture. I hope thats an alright spot to have the stands on because i didnt know where else to put them. But dont those control arms attach to the rear? so how would i unbolt the rear and take it out with the jack stands proping up my car in that area?

Does anyone have a tutorial or some pictures or even some basic advice for me about removing and installing the new rear. And thank you Lazor for the sugestion! iv been looking on kijiji and iv seen a few but some of them are a little pricey. And thank you 302army for the input. Im gonna take some more pictures tomorrow now that i have the car jacked up and hopefully u can give me ur input on the cars rear condition!

I found a 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears with no slip? and they are disc brakes but it came out of a ford explorer? will this work in my 88 mustang?
Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bravo
Try Maine, where it takes at least 8 inches of snow on the road to shut things down.

Then again, anyone in their right mind wouldn't be driving a 5 liter pony during the winter months up here...
Try living in canada where we measure in feet instead of inches :P

Quick Reply: The WORST night of my life