5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Ship it or monster road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Default Ship it or monster road trip?

Hi guys!

I have an interesting question, to give you a break from the "guess my HP" norm.

I'm going to be relocating from North Port, Florida to Bogota, Colombia (yeah, in South America) for a couple years to teach English. I need to figure out how to get the Stang there, so I'm looking for opinions of the best way to get it there.

Option 1: there's a shipping port in Miami, about 3 hours south of my location. That's no biggie, I can drive the car there and take a taxi to the airport. The biggie comes when it gets to Colombia, in Santa Marta, which is about 18 hours north of Bogota. The questions are:
What are my options? Can I ship the car solo, or do I rent a shipping container and park the car in it? Who do I call or visit to find out the options and costs involved?

Option 2: There's a gas station about 5 minutes from here. I fill the car up, and start driving. From Florida through Texas, through Mexico, through Guatemala, through Honduras, through Nicaragua, through Panama, to Colombia. Sound like a fun road trip? How many miles we talking here? Where on the internet can I get international driving directions? Mapquest and Yahoo maps don't seem to do international. More importantly, who wants to come with me?

Thanks for any potential info!

Matt
Old 08-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

ROAD TRIP IT!!! Man you could see some nice *** sites... just don't blow straight there.

I'll go, haha!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:50 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

That's a hell of a drive. Sure the car is up to it? Hate to see anything go wrong in the middle of that drive.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:52 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

i'd have to say road trip. it would be one loooooong trip but just think of all the stuff you'd see. I wouldn't pass that up.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
That's a hell of a drive. Sure the car is up to it? Hate to see anything go wrong in the middle of that drive.
It is one hell of a trip, and the only thing wrong with the car at the moment is a head gasket that is going south slowly. White smoke at startup and coolant loss is a head gasket, right? Obviously that's gotta be fixed first. I'd love to have someone fix it in Colombia, because it would cost about $175 US dollars instead of who knows how much here ($800+)?) But, I just don't want to be in the middle of some friggin desert and have the gasket blow out bad, so I wouldn't risk it. As it stands now, if I decide to road trip it, I'm going to buy an assload of camp rations and water in case I end up unwillingly hosting an issue of Survivor Man on the way. You just don't want to die due to stupidity.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Riceinator
3rd Gear Member

Definately drive it, IF you think the car is capable. That would be an incredible drive and see many sights you may never see otherwise.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Well, I don't know what everyone here is thinking but don't drive it.

I'm of Mexican descent and let me tell you, you will get jacked and probably killed once you reach the southern parts of MExico. Almost happened to me in the fox until they found out who my Uncles were (Powerful drug lords).

There's even military checkpoints in South Mexico that they'll tell you that you're on your own and to not stop for anything. Food, rest, nothing. It's not going to be as fun a drive as you think.

Sure it's nice when you go there during vacations but you never go to the grit of these places. If you try the roadtrip, I don't think we'll hear back from you for a very very long time.

I'd hate to be the downer but don't do it. Unless you're any of the nationalities from around there, then go for it! But if you're caucasian, don't. And also find some mexican plates. Lately they'll jack anything if it's American.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:16 PM
javier146
2nd Gear Member

I agree with dj. You don't see too many foxes in Mexico and Guatemala. SO you will stick out like a sore thumb, and get robbed at a stop sign.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dj_Seph
Well, I don't know what everyone here is thinking but don't drive it.

I'm of Mexican descent and let me tell you, you will get jacked and probably killed once you reach the southern parts of MExico. Almost happened to me in the fox until they found out who my Uncles were (Powerful drug lords).

There's even military checkpoints in South Mexico that they'll tell you that you're on your own and to not stop for anything. Food, rest, nothing. It's not going to be as fun a drive as you think.

Sure it's nice when you go there during vacations but you never go to the grit of these places. If you try the roadtrip, I don't think we'll hear back from you for a very very long time.

I'd hate to be the downer but don't do it. Unless you're any of the nationalities from around there, then go for it! But if you're caucasian, don't. And also find some mexican plates. Lately they'll jack anything if it's American.
Well, I'm whitey, but not so that I stick out like a sore thumb, and I speak Spanish fluently, but with an accent. But I guess I'll concede you the point. We as Americans tend to see the rest of the world as tourist destinations without thinking of the danger, and often find ourselves in heaps of **** that are too deep to dig our ways out of. I guess I should know better. I've seen stuff in Colombia that made me think. One time a friend and I were walking down the street when these cops pull up alongside of us, and start asking all these questions, where are we going, what are we going to do there, etc. They want to search us, and so we assume the position. This cop starts patting me down from behind, and goes down the sides, and comes up the inside of the legs, and then he starts groping my junk... I'm looking at my friend with this horror-face as this cop is spending literally a good 15 seconds checking out my equipment. Not a good feeling. Ruined my mojo for a whole week. My girlfriend was wondering what was going on. LOL!

They have a whole bunch of military checkpoints outside the cities in Colombia too, and also a fair number of places you really shouldn't go if you like being alive. I guess I could handle the 19 hours from the port to Bogota, but I know nothing about the dangers of Mexico. Thanks for the wake up call.

So anyway, does anyone know how much it cost to ship a car across the gulf, or who to talk to that would know?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:29 PM
87notch408
1st Gear Member

I would have to agree with DJ Seph on this one. I have been to more places in the world than most people and I don't think you want to be in many of those places alone. There are so many drug lords and paramilitary in those areas, hell forget the criminals the law enforcement is even worse!
I would put it in storage and find a junker to drive while you are there. If you are dead set on taking it just ship it the entire way.
You can contact certain government agencies and receive a threat brief on all those countries if you do decide to drive it (drawing a blank on which one at this moment)

Quick Reply: Ship it or monster road trip?