5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

supercharging-->lead me :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:03 PM
orions_knight
2nd Gear Member

Default supercharging-->lead me :)

k guys. got the kinks worked out of the new fox. i dont know what exactly goes into adding a supercharger but thats why im here so those who dont mind typing the same old crap for one more hopeful, what do i need?
car is stock with flowmasters. thats it. 171,000miles on the clock. 3.55 's coming soon. 5spd

so what supporting mods? details are appreciated.
internals? suspension? whats a good boost level? kenne bell, vortech, paxton, etc? just guide me guys i dont know what to do but once i know what i need getting it done wont be a problem. thanks all!!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

what level of boost are you planning on? Mine, I had to upgrade a lot

Upgrade
larger injectors, 42's
Pmas blow thru mass air meter
adjustable fuel pressure regulator
External fuel pump
255 lp internal fuel pump for boosted application
msd ignition system w/ boost retard module
2 step colder spark plugs
SCT custom burned multi tune chip- a must!!!

Probably some other crap I can't remember
Old 08-14-2009, 02:13 AM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

^^^^^Agreed. But truth be told, 170,000 miles is a lot of miles to go FI, IMO. Boost puts a lot of wear and tear on your motor and drivetrain.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 PM
orions_knight
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
^^^^^Agreed. But truth be told, 170,000 miles is a lot of miles to go FI, IMO. Boost puts a lot of wear and tear on your motor and drivetrain.
no doubt, but thats why im here. to get some constructive critism and a lil wisdom. ill keep that in mind. :thumbs up:
Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

If you do add boost, just keep the psi to a minimum. 6psi should suffice for a little while and won't beat the motor too bad. If you are on a budget I would look into buying a used kit from either Vortech or Paxton. Both can be had for around $1300-$1600 easily. Corral.net is a good place to start looking(under their "poweradders" classified section.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

when you put a supercharger on your car, all the problems with the car are going to show themselves.

After I put the supercharger on mine, the header gasket started leaking, the radiator wasn't sufficient anymore, the clutch gave out the first week and the rear end clutches gave away.

I got lucky and had zero blow by after putting it on. My friend with the paxton 1220sl wasn't so lucky. It throws blue smoke out the pipes that can be seen from the rear view mirror. He is also still running stock injectors and the fmu. Dumbass is thinking of putting a shot on it too. (I never did tell him but, it was blowing a little smoke before he put it on.)

And NoGO95GT made a good point on the low boost levels. Start out low.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 08-15-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:05 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Such is the life with boost I guess. A lot of headaches and a lot of fun. Plus, diagnosing the problems become even harder too. Hey Tim, did you get your detonation figured out?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

It turned out to be a stupid header gasket leak. It threw me for a long time because it didn't do it under wot. (or i couldn't hear it) My mechanic drove it and figured it out. Now it makes the noise all the time even under wot and it is easier to tell. Makes me wonder how hard he drove it.lol

He also thought I had about an 8.30 car. So...Guess I will be adding heads soon to get it in the 7s.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 08-15-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:35 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

When I dynoed, my Mustang a couple months back, I too had a shredded header gasket. It caused my car to run dangerously lean(14:5) and gave a loud lean "POP" @ 5600rpm right when it made 396rwhp and they let off for safety. I am glad you figured it out though. I bet that Twinscrew hits hard. Any #'s yet/tune? I know bumping my timing from 10 degrees to 18 degrees made the car feel like an animal. I wonder what 22 degrees will do......?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

No dyno time yet. Still waiting on the radiator to come in. Also need to put the new clutches in the rear end and install my new clutch.

Hopefully next month I can get on the dyno if nothing else goes wrong.

Might as well bump it to get what you can out of it or even go to meth!!!

Quick Reply: supercharging-->lead me :)