5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

88 SSP questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Drajean

Default 88 SSP questions

Hi all, second post on the forums, yay.

I looked in the knowledge base but couldn't find anything on how to tighten or loosen a clutch cable, or how to connect a speedo/tac up to work on a 88 SSP. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be cool.

I'm getting the car from someone else who was working on it but no longer has the time, just got a new clutch installed, just didn't mess with it after, and it has an aftermarket cam I think. idles just a bit rough, anything I can do to try and fix that?

Thank you for your responses!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Fox23
2nd Gear Member

tweak your timing a little bit to set your idle the way you want
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/71.shtml
Old 08-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Drajean

Thank you, anyone know where I can find something like that for reconnecting the tachometer and speedometer, the guy disconnected it while he was working on it and as much as my dad and I don't care, my mother would have a cow.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Drajean

Update, actually have the car, pictures will be posted as soon as I get my damn camera to work.

Also after driving it on I-10, and getting it to a higher gear then second, I've noticed that the gears grind as I shift into 3rd 4th, or 5th gear. In gear its fine, no odd noises. It makes me think I may need to replace the tranny, but I don't honestly have a clue, and I'm hopeing to change that.

Also it recently had a clutch put in, could that have anything to do with it?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:21 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

if you have the stock clutch cable setup its adjustable to tighten up the cable by pulling up on the clutch pedal.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Drajean

I think I need to loosen it though, I have to push it down to the floor as hard as I can to get it to work at all.

Edit, guess that actually means its to tight, not sure if its stock though, but to adjust it if it is just pull up on the pedal or am I not understanding, I'm sorry, I'm 17, this is my first car, and while I want to learn how to work on it I don't have anyone to teach me.

Last edited by Drajean; 08-16-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:28 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

you need to adjust it right away. you need to tighten it more.

you want the clutch to start to engage when the pedal is about 1 1/2" off the floor

it will definitely cause grinding in those gears like you said... and you are also ruining the clutch disk... it is NOT fully disengaging while you are shifting

look for a threaded end w/ 2 nuts on it....under the car, drivers side, where the threaded rod goes through the trans to pull on the pressure plate

thats is assuming that is was replaced... look at the top of the clutch pedal, see if there is a huge plastic quadrant.. or an aluminum quadrant

very easy to spot.. but you need to get upside down and under the dash like a pretzel

if it's stock plastic... replace it yeasterday w/ an aluminum one or you'll be doing another clutch job in a few weeks

the speedo connects on the trans, on the tailshaft, drivers side as well

the tach should pickup off the coil, i've never messed w/ a stocker... but stocks are way innacurate... get an aftermarket tach and run it to the coil

good luck and welcome to the club
Old 08-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Drajean

I love you (no homo) Nitrous Bob, all I can see is that I think its plastic btu there is so much wiring I can't do much in the way of getting under there, I am going to take part of the dash out though to replace the speedo, and I am working on finding a tach, but I am on a tiny bit of a budget, so I may have to do most of the shopping at auto-zone, I also need a battery and alternator, my question is, with it being an ssp the stock alt was 130 amps, should I try to find one like that or would a smaller amp-age work fine, and I do not have any radio whatsoever (Edit: Or A/C for that matter) , I will do audio last, and should the need arise I will upgrade the alt then. But thats a few years down the road.

And no, I have not driven it since getting home. And I wont till the clutch and alt and battery is fixed.

Last edited by Drajean; 08-17-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: A/C
Old 08-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Drajean

I would have edited my last post but I have some more info, bought a new battery and speedo cable, going to put in the battery tomorrow, I took the alt to get it tested but their machine was broken so I'm going to just take the car tomorrow, the problem I need to solve now is the clutch, I'm not sure if I need a new clutch cable, because I could not get a jack that worked on my car today, and it wasn't till 8pm that I got it, so I have to wait till tomorrow to lift the car, but when I do I need to also change the speedometer cable, and I'm not sure where I need to feed it through to get it to the dash, nor am I sure where the coil is, or EXACTLY where the quadrant is, I think I've found it but I can't be sure because it may just be a random plastic bit. Also I can't find any aluminum quadrants for sale by themselves.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could take a picture of where the quadrant is from where the petals are.

Oh, wiring needs some work, turn signals don't work.... but hazards do. Need a bit of help fixing that.

Also, still trying to fix the damn camera.

Last edited by Drajean; 08-19-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Drajean

Guys I really need some help, if you help me with nothing else tell me which way I need to turn the nuts and bolts at the clutch cable fork. I actually found the damn quadrant, it is metal, so I just need to know which way to turn the bolts.

Last edited by Drajean; 08-19-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: quadrant, removed picture.

Quick Reply: 88 SSP questions