5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Decisions Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:24 PM
89lxhatch
1st Gear Member

Default Decisions Decisions

I need some some input on forced induction, pros and cons for the types of superchargers. This winter when i put the pony in the stall im tearing it down and modding. Supercharger is the main focus. Now what kinda of differences for the car does each type of supercharger do for the car, in comparison of say like the KB Blozilla which im leaning towards, and like a Vortech V-trim. Ive always been a fan of a roots type blower, but i see that a lot of people like the seem to like the vortech setups, what are differences and pro and cons besides the obvious design and installation, i have the money for either but i want to know which one will provide the better perfomance. Also i was told that the motors in our foxbodys already have forged internals, and if so how much boost are they good for before you are pushing the limit of detonation. Heads, i know i need them so im goin to get a set, what is a good set for a supercharger set up. Im goin to have a Gt40 lower intake, 80mm Maf and at least a 75mm throttle body. I figured i would put roller rockers in, what are better for forced induction 1.6 or 1.7 ratios. Oh and the cam, need to know that to, im not trying to have just a 1/4 mile car, i just want a fast street car, that i can still keep my A/C cranked but have just over 400hp if possible, so i dont want the a wild lift so that my car sounds like a harley at a stop light. Guide me in the right the direction so that i dont blow my money on a **** ton of mods that dont work in conjuction with each other and im sitting with 9000 dollars in mods, no better off then if i left it stock looking retarded
Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

if you got 9 grand to blow, get some heads too

btw kenne bells are whipple superchargers

Last edited by TrimDrip; 08-21-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

If youd like, i can come over and put it all together for you, too.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:38 PM
SonicBlueFiveSlow
3rd Gear Member

Go ***** out, Procharger F-1R!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:06 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

roots type blows generally have a "heat soak" type effect on the motor due to their non intercooler design. so example being, consistant dyno runs you'd get lower and lower numbers. there are ways around it, but thats just generally speaking.

roots type blowers also provide "instant torque" there is hardly a lag to it. so basically you hammer down and you are *** end wild all over the place.(on stock suspension that is) where centri blowers have a hit, and then build in boost in the higher rpms. IMO the difference is negligable, but the air temp difference is vastly different, thats where centri's shine.

i hear you talking about all this motor motor motor motor. where is your hook? you want a fast street car build you suspension and throw on some heads and vortech or novi supercharger.

anotehr memeber on here who is very familiar with boost (luckythirteen) had his fox originally with a typhoon intake a vortech supercharger, the rest was all stock and he made 460rwhp iirc. you throw some suspension on that w/ some slicks and you have a solid 10 sec car all day long, no one will touch you on the street, relatively speaking.

as for your supercharger question, for consistant performance and reliablity and ease of application IMO you should go with a vortech or novi.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:41 PM
89lxhatch
1st Gear Member

so what can the stock internals handle as far as boost psi
Old 08-21-2009, 09:04 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Originally Posted by 89lxhatch
so what can the stock internals handle as far as boost psi
I have 14#'s on mine.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 PM
89lxhatch