5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Types of supercharger comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:14 AM
89lxhatch
1st Gear Member

Default Types of supercharger comparison

i found this on the whipple site, so you guys who may be like me and are wondering what kind of supercharger to get and what the pros and cons are
Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

kenne bell = happy
Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89lxhatch
i found this on the whipple site, so you guys who may be like me and are wondering what kind of supercharger to get and what the pros and cons are
found what? you gave no link

and for the record....turbo > KB
Old 08-22-2009, 10:28 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

its not that I don't agree with you on that statement, I just want to keep my ac and not have to chop up my car
Old 08-22-2009, 10:42 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
its not that I don't agree with you on that statement, I just want to keep my ac and not have to chop up my car
then buy a quality kit. only the cheap kits require the ac to be deleted or body modification. i could run ac on my car but chose to get rid of it because it didnt work and my car isnt a DD
Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 AM
89lxhatch
1st Gear Member

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/faq.asp?faqID=35#35

lol sorry my son woke up from his nap and i got distracted
Old 08-22-2009, 11:19 AM
89lxhatch
1st Gear Member

yea ive been scoping the KB superchargers myself thats why i looked up the whipple system to see if they had a comparison of some sorts
Old 08-22-2009, 12:34 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I would suggest asking yourself what you really want out of the car and what your budget is. KB are not cheap and neither is a good turbo kit or a new centri kit. However the used market is full of good, used centri kits. KB (and any roots style blower) get full boost vary low in the rpm range. IMO this is both good and bad. Good because of the large torque spike, which is a lot of fun in a "street" car. Bad because you will have lots of traction issues. Most people on here are just going to suggest whatever they happen to own, because with a few exceptions, it is all they know. Personally, if I were to do it over, I would run a turbo. IMO it is a more efficient system and has more potential down the road. I am currently running a Vortech V2SQ with a 2.95 upper pulley, I like it, it makes plenty of power, I have serious traction issues LOL.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:52 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JD1969
I would suggest asking yourself what you really want out of the car and what your budget is. KB are not cheap and neither is a good turbo kit or a new centri kit. However the used market is full of good, used centri kits. KB (and any roots style blower) get full boost vary low in the rpm range. IMO this is both good and bad. Good because of the large torque spike, which is a lot of fun in a "street" car. Bad because you will have lots of traction issues. Most people on here are just going to suggest whatever they happen to own, because with a few exceptions, it is all they know. Personally, if I were to do it over, I would run a turbo. IMO it is a more efficient system and has more potential down the road. I am currently running a Vortech V2SQ with a 2.95 upper pulley, I like it, it makes plenty of power, I have serious traction issues LOL.

absolutely correct. you have to take into consideration the other mods you have as well. when i had a centrifical sc (v1), with the gears and high stall converter, my car was almost worthless on the street because everytime i floored it, i would just roast the tires despite the fact that centri's dont make low end power. my turbos are even worse because power doesnt slowly come in, i hit the gas, there is a half second hessitation as the motor loads up with fuel, the burning fuel then hits the turbos and it feels like the car was rear ended by a semi......when it hook (top of 2nd or 3rd gear). first gear is totally worthless on the street and thats with every suspension mod under the sun a pair of 275/60 et streets in the rear

and to expand on my earlier coment about keeping ac with a turbo, its the chinese twin kits that are got turbos this reputation. almost every single kit i have ever seen has the turbo on the passenger side because there is more room for a dp since there is no master cylinder or steering shaft in the waty. even most of the cheap single kits keep ac, some require deleting ps tho. as you can clearly see from my sig, there is plenty of room for an ac compressor

Last edited by luckythirteen13; 08-22-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM
89lxhatch
1st Gear Member

well the kit from KB for out cars with a gt40 (cobra) lower intake manifold is 3099 dollars, which is not all that expensive, and a pretty simple install from what ive seen, im not sure what a turbo kit for our cars cost, but i know for a fact that i want to keep my air and power steering, cold air in a 89 foxbody is rare and ive come to appreciate it lol

Quick Reply: Types of supercharger comparison