5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Roller Rocker Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 PM
gt884me
2nd Gear Member

Angry Roller Rocker Adjustment

Allright lets get this taken care of here...Why can i not figure out how to properly adjust my rollers?????? I know when on the valve openings and closings to adjust them, but i dont understand this crap i hear about 20' lbs of torque???? Heres the way i have it, see where i go wrong...first get it to zero lash, then turn the 5/8in nut to between 1/4 to 1/2 past zero lash, then set allen headed lock screw??? It just seems that after i do this the rocker feels a little loose...am i crazy or did i do something wrong? Boy it would sure help if someone do a sticky on this....Jamie
Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

hydraulic lifters will compress since no hydraulic pressure is present when you first set them, don't worry if they feel loose after setting them properly, upon start up hydraulic pressure will pump them up accordingly.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

from FTI
Valve Adjustment Procedure >Top
Hydraulic Lifter/Valve Adjustment
1. Remove the valve covers, and pick a cylinder you are going to set the pre-load on. Only do one cylinder at a time.

2. Rotate the engine in its normal direction of rotation (clockwise) and watch the exhaust valve on that particular cylinder. When the exhaust valve begins to open, stop and adjust that cylinder's intake rocker arm.

3. To adjust, back off the intake rocker arm adjusting nut and remove any tension from the push rod. Wait a minute or two for that hydraulic lifter to return to a neutral position. The spring inside the lifter will move the push rod seat up against the retaining lock, if you give it time to do so.

4. Twist the intake push rod with your fingers while tightening down the rocker arm. When you feel a slight resistance to the turning of the push rod, you are at "Zero Lash". Turn the adjusting nut down one half to three-quarters of a turn from that point for street applications. Use 1/8 to 1/4 turn for race applications. Lock the adjuster into position. The intake is now adjusted properly.

5. Continue to turn the engine, watching that same intake valve/rocker you just set. It will go to full open and then begin to close. When it is almost closed, stop and adjust the exhaust rocker arm on that particular cylinder. Loosen the exhaust rocker arm and follow the same procedure described before in steps 3 and 4 to adjust this rocker arm.

6. Both valves on this cylinder are now adjusted, and you can move on to your next cylinder and follow the same procedure again.

There may be some initial valvetrain noise when the engine is first fired up but once oil pressure has stabilized and the engine heats up, it should quiet right down to a normal level.

Remember that some racier camshafts will have a mechanical sound to them and will not be a silent as factory units.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
gt884me
2nd Gear Member

Ok, i have run the car like this before, but there is a few that are a little loose on the drivers side....now just to be sure, how can i tell if a shims are needed?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

shims?? by the sound of your description you have stud mount rockers???
Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
gt884me
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
shims?? by the sound of your description you have stud mount rockers???
Dangit now im gettin confused....im sure they are pedestals....peds and stud mount look different right?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you dont shim stud mount rockers... and you (just you, not everyone) should ignore anything you hear about "pedestal" mount rockers... i can see you are confused.

set your rockers to 1/2-5/8 of a turn instead of 1/4-1/2. they will feel slightly loose after you are done. but they should be pretty quiet after you run the motor for about 5 minutes.

make sure you prime the engine very well and turn it over by hand a few times before you start it
Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if you have poly locks don't use the pedastal methood, follow the instructions in my post above on how to set rocker adjustment for stud mount
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
gt884me
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
you dont shim stud mount rockers... and you (just you, not everyone) should ignore anything you hear about "pedestal" mount rockers... i can see you are confused.

set your rockers to 1/2-5/8 of a turn instead of 1/4-1/2. they will feel slightly loose after you are done. but they should be pretty quiet after you run the motor for about 5 minutes.

make sure you prime the engine very well and turn it over by hand a few times before you start it
Well the engine has been run.....i had them set, and after the dyno a few need readjusted, it just seems like they were a little loose when i had set them...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 PM
gt884me
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
if you have poly locks don't use the pedastal methood, follow the instructions in my post above on how to set rocker adjustment for stud mount
Ive got poly locks....well between my and kyle, both of us are having trouble getting them set....maybe im just making it out to be more difficult than it really is

Quick Reply: Roller Rocker Adjustment