5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Anyone vouch for this suspension setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:23 AM
kuikcat
1st Gear Member

griggs racing is the s#!t. check out dan pinas drift patroll vidio on griggsracing.com
Old 09-10-2009, 01:48 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Let me say this. Stay away from Team Z. I bought one of theirs and it didnt fit. I sent it back two months ago and still haven't got my money back. I sent that crap back and went with MM. Much nicer and the fit was SO much better.

Ive got strange coilovers and struts but cant really vouch for them since I havent got to beat on them yet. I do like the 10 way adjustability though.

thats odd mine fit like a glove. my brother put it in by himself in under an hour.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by Jfsram
Probably when I read the 2nd line in the tech section of the MM suspension set up.

"Intended for a street-driven Mustang, not one entered in driving events."

A true stock suspended fox Mustang is not ready for road racing but it's mainly because of the geometry, the giant rubber bushings, tiny brakes, all season tires, cheap shocks and springs. NOT because the K member and control arms are weak.

Put it this way. During a high speed road course with 4 racing tires. On a plus 1 g turn when 90% of the weight of the car is leaning on one front tire. I'd trust a stock control arm and stock K member more than a lightweight drag racing tubular set up.
The OP's link to the MM stuff has NOTHING to do with drag racing, it's other people in here who are talking about Team Z and Wolfe stuff, and yes they are wrong for suggesting that sruff. As far as the geometry being bad, it is and that is fact. Do some research on how the front and rear suspension functions on these cars, fine for drag racing, really poor a well handling car. The guy can fix the major flaw (the rear suspension) for under a $1000, which is less than the link in his post, and is what I would suggest to do first. Here is my question to you, have YOU ever ran a Mustang around a road course? Now have you run one with either a Griggs or MM set-up? I have.

Last edited by JD1969; 09-10-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Can we please stop suggesting DRAG RACING parts in this thread.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

agreed. there is no need to mentioning wolfe, team z, trz or companies like them as the parts are built for different reasons
Old 09-10-2009, 11:07 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

To add. In the OP's original link to the MM parts, I see no reason why anyone would think these parts are to lighten anything. Those parts are meant to be ADDED to the stock K member as re-enforcement, but since stock stuff is so strong and stiff why would anyone do that? I know for a fact that I added weight to my car with the PHB and TQ arm. I only took away the upper control arms and the TQ arm is a pretty beefy piece.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

When I did some research and went with MM instead of team z (after no research) I found that MM spent 2 years developing their k-member and it has a lot of the horrible stock fox geometry fixed.

Ive not set the bump steer in my car yet and I can already tell that the new stuffs handles like crazy.

Team Z is a "drag race" only part if you pan to road race, autocross, or a a nice handling car for the street go with MM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:53 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

you cant blame the k-member because you were going to try and use it for a purpose it wasnt intended on
Old 09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
EODMustang
1st Gear Member

I'm most definitely with JD on this one. I drove the **** out of my car even when the suspension was bone stock. I had the regular MM k-member and control arms on my car and currently have the Hellion k-member and control arms, and I'll tell ya right now that I would never have tried half the **** with a stock front end that I have tried after installing those parts. It made a huge difference, but the biggest difference was when I had the PHB/TA setup installed. There is no other similarly priced suspension mod that is going to drastically improve your handling the way a PHB/TA setup will.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:56 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

EOD, did you notice that the ride got better with the PHB/TQ set up? Also, did you go with the MM springs?

Quick Reply: Anyone vouch for this suspension setup?