5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

If nothing else, I was impressed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:16 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

European cars aren't the be all and end all of cornering performance. It's just that most American cars have poor suspension from the factory. You can get American cars to handle as well as Euro cars, case in point the S197 in Grand Am, it's a match for the BMW's. Most euro cars have more sophisticated suspension though, so even if you get a Mustang to handle as well, it's not going to ride as well(except perhaps the IRS Mustangs such as some Cobras). The car also needs to be aligned and balanced for the driver in order to make the most of cornering. Many Euro cars start off with good suspension, that's aligned with cornering in mind and is extremely well balanced as production cars go, so they have a huge edge over most American cars out of the factory...plus they have extremely well developed traction control systems.

I do like the new M3's with the 4.0 V8, nice little sporty car for driving on the street or weekend AutoX etc. And a Watts Link would be better for driving through a corner than a panhard rod would be, but they do cost more.

A lot of it is in the driving though, most people don't know how to drive into, through, or out of a corner. No offense to the OP, but if you were stepping out and drifting through the turns then you drove the car past it's limit, or yours.