5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

408 claimed its first, and second victims yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Default 408 claimed its first, and second victims yesterday

Well I thought I'd share my little story with you, as I find it frusterating, and entertaining all at the same time. I've been working on my car non-stop for the past month or so getting her drag ready, which is why I haven't been on the forums. Finished it on Saturday at about 8pm, loaded it up and left to the strip at 8am on Sunday.

Get it up there, it's flippin cold, about 8 degrees, little bit of rain every now and then, and winds gusting to 70kph, a head wind. So a disgusting day.

Make my first pass, 13.3 @ 73mph, with a 1.888 60 foot, no traction at all. Had it in second gear so I coasted half way through the race to the end, must've pulled it down when I was in the box.

Second pass I redlight while bringing my stall up, panicked, sat for probably near 3/4 of a second watching that red bulb, went a 2.55x 60 foot, trans didn't shift right going into second, shifted about 1000 rpm late, and the car was running a 10.4:1 AFR, ran a 12.7x @ 108mph... better, but still no where near where the car should be, and no traction still.

So for the third pass I lean it out, adjust my shift point, adjust my TPS as it was only going to about 98% throttle, not 100%, so now I've got it all set. Do a perfect burnout, smoked the hell out of them trying to get traction in the cold, frigid track. Voila, it hooks! Glove box flies open, bezel around the A/C controls lands on the shifter, then the car stops about 6 inches later. Broke the axle, a 31 spline axle at that. Oh well, I was puttin Moser 33 spline w/ the eliminators this winter so not a big deal, I started laughin right away. Just wish it held off so I can drive the car and tune it a bit better.

So we get it home, push it into the garage, I tear it all apart, this is what I found, never seen an axle break INSIDE the carrier...

While pulling it all apart, I noticed one more thing though, also twisted the lower rear control arm on the other side.

This was all done with a N/A 408 w/ 3.55 gears and a 4R70W trans straight out of a 2000 3.8L Mustang, just changed fluid and filter, w/ a Precision Industries Stallion Converter. Suspension 100% stock.

All in my lil' old 92 GT

Just wish I could have made that run....

Oh, forgot to mention, I lost my girlfriend of over 3 years about a month ago over this car... So worth it.

Last edited by Liquid_02; 09-28-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

what are you doing running full slicks on a stock suspension anyway? you're lucky all you did was break an axle and twist some control arms.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'd rather hear the story on the girl friend being lost then the car story....lol ..do tell
Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what's the 408 build consist of??
Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I'd rather hear the story on the girl friend being lost then the car story....lol ..do tell
Hahaha, well it's quite short so you're in luck. She's clingy, can't go a day without me, and me, I couldn't have cared less. So one day I tell her I'm going to work on my car, then she gets mad, argument goes on and leads to her saying something along the lines of "If you work on your car tonight it's over" and my response was "Bye.". That's pretty much the gist of it :P

Originally Posted by mjr46
what's the 408 build consist of??
Okie dokey, this one's a little longer aha.

-96 351 Roller Block
-Eagle Forged Crank, Eagle Forged H-Beams, Probe 22cc Forged Pistons
-Main girdle
-ARP Bolts/studs ONLY on this engine.
-Edlebrock Victor Jr.'s right out of the box, springs shimmed .060 for a touch extra seat pressure
-TrickFlow R Upper & Lower ported to 80mm
-TrickFlow Fuel Rails
-3/8" phenolic spacer to clear fuel rails
-Magnafuel F/P Regulator
-Mallory 110FI External Fuel Pump, sumped tank
-Accufab 80mm Race T/B
-Anderson 4" power pipe
-Pro-M 80 MAF
-FMS 42lbs injectors
-Hooker Super Comp. Long tubes
-Comp Magnum Pushrods
-Comp Hi-Tek Full-Roller Rockers 1.6:1
-Stock lifters
-Comp Custom Grind:
.580/286 intake .577/294 exhaust 112.0 lobe separation
Advanced cam 4 degrees with Cloyes Chain
-HV Oil Pump
-ARP O/P Drive Shaft
-MSD TFI Distributor
-MSD Street Fire Coil
-Poly Mounts
-Pioneer SFI Balancer
-TCI SFI Flexplate
-3" Exhaust front to back, no h or x-pipe
-Anderson PMS Series 4 to tune it
-FlashACQ to log it

Ohhh, forgot to mention it's a 10.01:1 engine, runs on 91, all I used when I went to the track

I believe I've covered everything for the engine there....

Trans

-4R70W out of 2000 V-6 Mustang, 43,000kms on it
-Baumann TCS to control it
-Precision Industries Stallion 9.5" converter, 2700rpm stall
-Modified my stock T-5 Crossmember to fit it
-Stock T-5 Driveshaft was within a 1/2" so I just left it.
-B&M Hammer Shifter for an AOD modified to fit standard car tunnel

Well I think that pretty much sums up the better part of my build...

Originally Posted by mattdel
what are you doing running full slicks on a stock suspension anyway? you're lucky all you did was break an axle and twist some control arms.
Who cares? If it works why change it? Suspension did its job, hooked well, control arm just bent, big deal. Obviously the suspension did its job if I broke an axle with it. I'm just going to put a set of lowers on it, and go again next year until I break the uppers too.

Last edited by Liquid_02; 09-28-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Back-in-Black
1st Gear Member

Who cares? If it works why change it? Suspension did its job, hooked well, control arm just bent, big deal. Obviously the suspension did its job if I broke an axle with it. I'm just going to put a set of lowers on it, and go again next year until I break the uppers too.[/QUOTE]

If it aint broke, don't fix it! Fix that suspension with a good drag suspension and I bet you will have a much easier time getting it to hook!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
quickvic91

wow! nice job man, i dont think i would've been laughing about it though.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Back-in-Black
Who cares? If it works why change it? Suspension did its job, hooked well, control arm just bent, big deal. Obviously the suspension did its job if I broke an axle with it. I'm just going to put a set of lowers on it, and go again next year until I break the uppers too.

If it aint broke, don't fix it! Fix that suspension with a good drag suspension and I bet you will have a much easier time getting it to hook![/QUOTE]

aha that's my theory normally! Thing about it is it will hook, the axle prove it, among the crap flying around in my car. I believe the problem with the other two runs is the trans was trying to shift into OD, turned OD off and the burnout came out a lot better, engine started bogging before. Also it was cold and a little bit of rain was coming, so the track was crap as it is, everybody was having traction problems.

Originally Posted by quickvic91
wow! nice job man, i dont think i would've been laughing about it though.
Ohhh believe you me you would be if you poured 20 grand into an engine, and your best run of the day was 12.7. Especially considering I had plans on replacing them in winter anyways (this was the last race of the season)
Old 09-28-2009, 10:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Liquid_02
Hahaha, well it's quite short so you're in luck. She's clingy, can't go a day without me, and me, I couldn't have cared less. So one day I tell her I'm going to work on my car, then she gets mad, argument goes on and leads to her saying something along the lines of "If you work on your car tonight it's over" and my response was "Bye.". That's pretty much the gist of it :P

Okie dokey, this one's a little longer aha.

-96 351 Roller Block
-Eagle Forged Crank, Eagle Forged H-Beams, Probe 22cc Forged Pistons
-Main girdle
-ARP Bolts/studs ONLY on this engine.
-Edlebrock Victor Jr.'s right out of the box, springs shimmed .060 for a touch extra seat pressure
-TrickFlow R Upper & Lower ported to 80mm
-TrickFlow Fuel Rails
-3/8" phenolic spacer to clear fuel rails
-Magnafuel F/P Regulator
-Mallory 110FI External Fuel Pump, sumped tank
-Accufab 80mm Race T/B
-Anderson 4" power pipe
-Pro-M 80 MAF
-FMS 42lbs injectors
-Hooker Super Comp. Long tubes
-Comp Magnum Pushrods
-Comp Hi-Tek Full-Roller Rockers 1.6:1
-Stock lifters
-Comp Custom Grind:
.580/286 intake .577/294 exhaust 112.0 lobe separation
Advanced cam 4 degrees with Cloyes Chain
-HV Oil Pump
-ARP O/P Drive Shaft
-MSD TFI Distributor
-MSD Street Fire Coil
-Poly Mounts
-Pioneer SFI Balancer
-TCI SFI Flexplate
-3" Exhaust front to back, no h or x-pipe
-Anderson PMS Series 4 to tune it
-FlashACQ to log it

Ohhh, forgot to mention it's a 10.01:1 engine, runs on 91, all I used when I went to the track

I believe I've covered everything for the engine there....

Trans

-4R70W out of 2000 V-6 Mustang, 43,000kms on it
-Baumann TCS to control it
-Precision Industries Stallion 9.5" converter, 2700rpm stall
-Modified my stock T-5 Crossmember to fit it
-Stock T-5 Driveshaft was within a 1/2" so I just left it.
-B&M Hammer Shifter for an AOD modified to fit standard car tunnel

Well I think that pretty much sums up the better part of my build...

LOL...okay, I'll give it to ya'....the second story/list here above was more interesting
Old 09-28-2009, 10:37 PM
CBurn
2nd Gear Member

Oh, forgot to mention, I lost my girlfriend of over 3 years about a month ago over this car... So worth it.
haha

Good to see you made the right choice. Be careful, your 92 might remind you of her, then whos laughin? haha

Quick Reply: 408 claimed its first, and second victims yesterday