5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

I hate to even ask...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Smile I hate to even ask...

I hate to even ask you guys...(waits on the flaming ) But. My 5.0 is needing a rebuild - smoking like a freight train when it idles too long, like in a parade or just sitting in a drive thru line. I just want to eek out one more summer of use, and have been invited to participate in a Halloween parade in Oklahoma City this year. I don't want to kill anyone from blue smoke... LOL WHAT do I need to add to the oil to cut down on the smoking? Just for now... I know its a bandaid on a bullet wound, but as I said, it will be getting rebuilt next winter, and I only put a few thousand miles on it a year since its a vert.

I've had salespeople at O'Really's try to sell me on Motor Honey, and ring seal additives, but I wanted to ask around first before I do anything that may speed along my motors demise....

Suggestions would be helpful.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

There is/was a company called ENTEK smokeless oil, we have about 8 qts of the stuff sitting on the shelf, it's clear, not sure if it works as we never used it but it's worth a try..lol
Old 10-01-2009, 01:27 PM
87GT Drop Top
1st Gear Member

If it's blowing by the rings try Engine restore.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:56 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

I tried that honey in an 83 T-Bird I had back in the day and it made a huge mess under the lower intake. There was a valley of burnt oil everywhere.I wouldn't use it again.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Originally Posted by 1ATony
I tried that honey in an 83 T-Bird I had back in the day and it made a huge mess under the lower intake. There was a valley of burnt oil everywhere.I wouldn't use it again.
That's exactly why I didn't buy it. In the past, the only vehicles I've known to actually have Motor Honey added to them are those that a fly by night car dealer knew were close to blowing up and wanted to be rid of. I've never known anyone who actually wanted to keep and use a car regularly putting it in their car...

Engine restore ey? Is that something you get at any parts store or do I need to look it up online?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by GhostHorse

Engine restore ey? Is that something you get at any parts store or do I need to look it up online?
They are talking about the engine restore being the honey, the smokeless oil is the same consistancy as oil
Old 10-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Oh - Yay. *not* Well, alrighty... Guess I may have to suck it up and experiment then. What's the worst that can happen? Rebuild it sooner than I'd hoped? LOL
Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Okie day- Upon quizzing my husband. It seems the last oil change he ran 5w30 (I think - I know the first # is 5 because I checked the bottles) through my car. A friend of mine who's a mechanical genius feels that's too light. He recommended a heavier oil + K and something (he couldn't remember but it wasn't K&N) Engine Restore.

If it works, I'll get back with you guys.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

If it's only smoking from extended idling it's most likely the valve seals.

The engine is probably due for a rebuild if the valve seals are that worn but if you just want to participate in a parade. You could change the valve seals without rebuilding or pulling out the engine. They can be swapped out on the car.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:17 PM
87GT Drop Top
1st Gear Member

Engine Restore is a additive you put in the oil. It fills in the scratches in the cylinder walls and restores compression. It also helps with blow by.

http://www.restoreusa.com/Engine_Restorer.html

Last edited by 87GT Drop Top; 10-02-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: I hate to even ask...