5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Tuned for unmetered air?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

Question Tuned for unmetered air?

First, a little background. I just did a head and cam upgrade and am still in the break-in period. After I get past that I will be having it dyno-tuned for the new setup which is TrickFlow TW Street Heads, E303 Cam, 42 lb injectors (and new mass air to match).

I learned a lot during the build (first engine project of this magnitude for me) and when I was getting to the last steps of reassembly, I realized the PCV was still connected to the upper intake and I had a breather on the valve covers (I did not install the Vortech S/C. This was how it was when I bought the car, but this is how the Vortech instructions say to do it). I read a lot about this, and the way I understand it, metered air = good, unmetered air = bad (like the air that was being sucked into the intake via the breather and the crankcase). So I ran the PCV hose to the fender well (open air) and plugged up the connection to the upper intake. After I did that, the car ran like crap. So, I hooked the PCV back up to the intake and now it runs fine, but if you feel the breather line to the crankcase, it's sucking a bunch of air.

So, finally to the question. I have had this car dyno-tuned twice since I bought it. Once when I had the DiabloSport chip installed, and once after that. Could both of these tuners been just tuning around all that unmetered air? I would think one of them might have suggested doing something to fix the problem? I am in CA, so maybe there are some legal issues with emissions laws, etc., but it seems like kind of a big issue to me. You have an unknown amount of air getting in the intake? How can you account for that? Am I totally off base on this? Is the amount of air not significant enough? Thoughts, comments, witty remarks???

I meant to post this in the tech forum instead of the general discussion. Admins, feel free to move.

Last edited by Raphs50; 10-07-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:53 PM
nasty90
2nd Gear Member

Thats one for PRO50SC, I'm of no value with that question.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Raphs50
2nd Gear Member

Thanks anyway. I know a number of people have discussed the subject on this forum, so hopefully I will get some good input.