5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Thinking of buying a 92 GT, need some advice

Old 10-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Default Thinking of buying a 92 GT, need some advice

Hey everyone,

I am considering buying a 92 GT hatchback for $3,300. I'll include a description of the car from the ad as well as the owner's response to my questions. I just wanted to know from experienced owners out there if there is anything that I should be expecting from this car - basically, known problems that this generation of GT had (prone to leakage in some places, weak clutch/transmission/any other part). Was this car notorious for anything? I only ask this because I used to own a 95 Camaro Z28 and didn't do enough research before buying it only to inherit the various problems it seemed to be known for in the Camaro community (leaky t-tops, cracked dashboard, leaky oil level sensor, sagging driver side door). Any help you guys can provide is greatly appreciated. I can also provide pics if wanted.

Here is the description:
I have a beautiful, 5- speed , Black On Black , 92 Gt Fully loaded ! new tailights, headlights, Pypes stainless steel exhaust, kenny brown subframe connectors, heater core,aluminum radiator, 4.10 gears, short shifter, repainted in original black, saleen wing, and the original black interior is in great conditiion, no rips or leaning of seats!! the only thing is the usual ashtray door that all mustangs suffer from. car has only 134,xxx Highway miles. also available is a experian auto check and a car fax which i have both upon request. the engine remains untouched, its just as the factory left it. this car runs beautiful the engine is strong never misses a beat! the suspension is tight no rattles. also new are speakers all around, cd stereo w/ aux & usb inputs, sub box, and a nice alarm with remote start. I even have a set of 3.27 gears new in box, and a set of lowering springs to go with the sale of the car. This car needs nothing except a good new owner!!!! I dont want to let go of this beauty but i'm forced to sell. price has been reduced to 3800.00 please no low ballers or wishes.... If you have the money then we can talk. she's a beauty don't let this one pass you by these clean FOX BODIES are hard to find especially original and clean!

Here are questions I asked the owner:
-- How is it physically? Any rust/scratches/dents/body filler?
-- How is the tread life in the tires?
-- Are there any leaks anywhere in the car (especially the rear)?
-- How many miles on the clutch? Does it slip at all?
-- Any "peculiarities" with the transmission? Does it pop out of gear at all?
-- What paperwork do you have for it?
-- Why are you selling it?

Here are his responses:
The only spot they had to use a little filler was on the drivers door lock since they tried to steal it from the previous owner, no rust, dents or scratches, it was repainted about a month ago. The tires are real good and have a lot of tread. Has one minor leak coming from the gasket on the timing chain cover nothing major. The clutch is original and no slipping whatsoever. The trans, motor, and rear are in perfect working order no popping out of gear or grinds. And I have a clean title for it . I'm selling my baby cause work has slowed down a lot and bills are backed up its either the roof over my head with the kids or the car and sadly the car has to go.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

have any friends who have a foxbody? take em along, take the car for a 30 min test drive, bring a magnet to check for bondo and a screwdriver to poke around the under carrige to check for rust

see just how minor the engine leak is, as to replace that gasket, you have to strip off the front of the motor but sounds like a good price if the car is soldid and running strong.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:27 AM
Styg
1st Gear Member

The repainted one month ago is a red flag to me. 9/10 times guy who sells a perfectly looking car has some shady **** going. But thats just me.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:46 AM
BladeX10
2nd Gear Member

Yeah.. The repaint thing kinda sets off an alarm. Ask him why it was painted.. If it was due to dead paint then fine but make sure it wasnt wrecked then repainted
Old 10-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Tylar

CarFax.

I purchased my 89 GT Thursday night and that was the best $29.99 I've spent, aside from the money i bought the car with.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:07 PM
BladeX10
2nd Gear Member

yeah. definitely get a carfax. The guy i bought my fox from swore it had 70k miles on it. Carfaxed and bam.. 171k. bought it anyway since it was a good deal .. thn theres a notchback that i was ready to buy.. had cash in hand and everything.. carfaxed it last min and found out it was wrecked and an original 4 cyl car.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Gotta go look at it and take the advise ^^^^ ...Not an overall bad $$$ IMO!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 AM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

I doubt those are all highway miles considering it has a 5 speed and 4:10's...
Old 10-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your advice guys, definitely going with a carfax report and am going to check it out in person.