5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1994-1995 mustangs slugs ???

Old 10-14-2009, 04:21 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Listen man, I am not trying to argue or anything, but, the 94-95's are slower than the Fox's. Yes, I understand that the 5.0 came out of the Mustang and was introduced in the early 80's in the Mustang(I believe) and that the 5.0 was used in various cars as well; Ie, F-150, explorer, Thunderbird, etc. But, the 5.0 can use different parts on it. Compare the Thunderbird 5.0 to the Fox 5.0 and tell me the intake manifold is different. Then look at a 94-95 Gt engine and tell me it looks just like the Thunderbird's. While all three employ the E7 heads, their intake's vary.
Thunderbird: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2258665 94-95 GT: http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...8&fr=yfp-t-701 ! Hmm...... both engines look vaguely familiar. Now look at your Fox Mustang's intake manifold. I know you are probably thinking why I am talking about intake manifold's so much. Well, because the Thunderbird's intake flows worse than the Fox's. The Fox can at least make some power till 5000rpm, but the 94-95GT's barely make it past 4500rpm. And like I said, add an extra 200lbs + a poor flowing intake, a conservative tune, etc and you have a slower car. I honestly do not know why you are ******* about misinformation when it's true. I have two of these cars and have been in a Fox. I can tell the difference clearly. Here's a few article I found too. http://www.stangbangers.com/94_GT_Article3.htm / http://www.stangbangers.com/94_GT_Article1.htm /
Old 10-14-2009, 05:36 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

The 94-95 use the low profile T-Bird intake. This is common knowledge.
Not sure about the 94-95, but the 96 had 6 cat converter I believe.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:39 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lxman1
my 94 gt has 4 cats. put a bbk off road h pipe on and made up for a little power and a way better sound. im really not impressed by the get up of the car though and def. am lookin to make it faster.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:47 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lxman1
94-95's run a 4 cat H-Pipe while the 96-98 runs a 6 cat set-up(4 pre-cats, 2 cats). Now the major problem with the 94-95's is their poor tune. Ford reduced the timing and fuel curves in order to meet more stringent emissions and provide the owner with a more smoother and refined feel vs a "punched in the mouth" feel. What's worse is adding simple mods can cause the computer to whack out. The car will start, then die after it warms up. Happened with both of my cars. The 94-95 Mustang's develop something called the idle/die syndrome. A tuning device can cure this, but you can also use the previous A9L computer used from the Fox Body's to remedy this.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:48 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lehrskee
my 94 gt has 4 cats. put a bbk off road h pipe on and made up for a little power and a way better sound. im really not impressed by the get up of the car though and def. am lookin to make it faster.
The only way to makes these cars fast is to push them off a cliff. Then they'll really move
Old 10-14-2009, 07:27 PM
lehrskee
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
The only way to makes these cars fast is to push them off a cliff. Then they'll really move
yeah tell me about it there are days i would love to do that.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

94-95's run a 4 cat H-Pipe while the 96-98 runs a 6 cat set-up(4 pre-cats, 2 cats). Now the major problem with the 94-95's is their poor tune. Ford reduced the timing and fuel curves in order to meet more stringent emissions and provide the owner with a more smoother and refined feel vs a "punched in the mouth" feel. What's worse is adding simple mods can cause the computer to whack out. The car will start, then die after it warms up. Happened with both of my cars. The 94-95 Mustang's develop something called the idle/die syndrome. A tuning device can cure this, but you can also use the previous A9L computer used from the Fox Body's to remedy this.
I can see the detuned ECU and intake replaced leading to the softness of the 94-95 GT. The thing that gets me was that you said the whole engine was from the T-bird...
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by OnyxCobra
interesting, I've honestly never heard of a stock Mustang pinging. Kind of defeats the purpose of being stock one would think.
Actually, it is quite easy to believe... Remember the Spark tables I showed you? The GT's had some areas in the spark maps that reached up to 55°BTDC!

I believe that is Correct! It was used to prolong transmission life especially under power-shifts!
That is purely a myth, I have contested it, AND disproved it. All you really need to do is view the actual tables in the ECM and you will see that the tip in retard isnt active over 2400RPM's, and not over 40% load either... so all this bull**** about saving transmissions... is NOT TRUE

Originally Posted by OnyxCobra
The reduced timing at WOT thing is actually not true. It was originally thought that it would reduce timing between shifts but I've recently learned that it's only active under a certain RPM, to reduce the strain on the trans under high load conditions such as heavy acceleration on the highway in 5th gear.

Fox bodies are not that much faster than the SN95s in stock form, you just get people that know how to drive in fox bodies more often.
thats not what I told/showed you at all.. The tip in retard was put in place to try to eliminate detonation, or "pinging" because of the high timing added into the spark tables to help reduce emissions.

the Idle/Die syndrome, as you have put it. is a case of improper data that was introduced into the flow and ISC finctions of the CBAZA tunes.

Also, ford didnt reduce the timing curves... they actually increased the timing in certain places of the T4M0 spark tables to reduce emissions..

You guys always wonder why i get bent about people pissing out bad information...
THIS IS WHY!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

So far, my info seems to be pretty accurate, other than the possible reduced timing under powershifts. Funny thing is, I should check out the stock fuel curves on the Tweecer. I'd like to compare it with a Cobra as well......
Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

So far, my info seems to be pretty accurate, other than the possible reduced timing under powershifts. Funny thing is, I should check out the stock fuel curves on the Tweecer. I'd like to compare it with a Cobra as well......
I'll make it even easier.

heres the tip in retard control tables from both the T4M0 AND J4J1

Last edited by AdderMk2; 10-14-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994-1995 mustangs slugs ???